CHAPTER 33: SUSPICION

"mom, there had been a lot of incidents in my life when I wished you to be present with me. May it be my first business success, or may it be that overwhelming moment when kia refused to recover from the viral fever. I had always wished for you to be present with me on my every success and sorrow. But now, I am shaken. Shaken to core because I don't know what to do anymore. I really really need you now mom. I am tired. Last night when I saw kia standing on the railing, just a step away from death, my heart stopped breathing altogether. All my life I have tried to protect my siblings, especially kiara. But yesterday......yesterday I finally realized that I failed. I had never seen her so broken before. Tell me mom, what should I do? " Victor mumbled as he stared at his mother's grave longingly. Silent streams of tears flowed down his blue irises, helpless and tired of everything.

" take a break." A new set of tulips were kept beside his and someone sat beside him.

Victor turned and looked at Sofia who smiled at him and wiped his tears.

" I was out for a few days and look at you. It seems like you have aged ten years in the past week." She mumbled, concerned looking at his condition. The prim and proper victor looked no less than a caveman currently. " What happened? Are you alright?" she asked.

Victor closed his eyes and exhaled deeply. Just how good can this question feel to someone. Being the eldest, he was the one who asked others this question. It has been ages since somebody asked him if he was alright. He opened his eyes and looked at her. This woman in front of him has been caving her way through his heart slowly and steadily. Sometimes he used to wonder if his mother was sending her for him. it can't be a coincidence every time for her to appear whenever he called for his mother right?

"what happened?" she snapped her fingers in front of his face.

"nothing..... what were you saying?" he came out of his stupor and asked.

"I said you should take a break. Stop working for a few days and take your family for vacation. You and your family really need it. I am sorry, I heard your talks with your mother and from that I concluded that things are not going good currently. With Christmas approaching, you should take your siblings on a vacation.it will refresh them." She explained.

"hmm..... maybe you are right." He muttered to himself.

"alright, I should get going now..." Sofia stood up and started to walk away.

"serenity?" Victor called from behind.

Sofia stopped but didn't turn back, " yes?"

" I wanted to ask you something." He said approaching her.

" go on."

" Why do you come to the graveyard everyday? You always put flowers on my mother's grave. Do you know her?"

Sofia looked into his eyes. A mysterious emotion clouding her gray orbs. She shook her head and smiled, " I will tell you one day. I promise." And walked away leaving a confused victor behind.

*******

" I come bearing breakfast." Pearl peeped through the door before coming in carrying a big bag in one hand and a few files in the other along with a bouquet of flowers. "Good morning." She wished kiara, Kevin and James.

"Good morning." Kiara beamed at her as she accepted the flowers from her. Tulips. Her favorite.

Kevin and James nodded at her in greeting.

"I know you guys must be hungry so I brought breakfast for you." She explained gesturing towards the bag. Kevin didn't even take a second to grab it from her and dig in.

"and these files?" James asked her.

"oh! These files needed your and Mr. King's signature. They are quite urgent so I thought about bringing them here."

James nodded and stood up. "Follow me." He ordered and went out of the room.

Pearl smiled at Kiara before following her boss.

Look at this man, no hi, how are you? Just simple follow me. And I allowed this grumpy grandpa to steal my first kis-

Pearl's thoughts were broken when James pulled her towards the corner and slammed her to the wall. Before she could make any sound, his lips slammed onto hers and just like that, all the thoughts flew away from her mind. She closed her eyes and responded to his kiss with equal passion. James's one hand was on her jaw while the other grabbed her by her waist and pulled her towards him.

"I wanted to devour you the moment I saw you." He said breathlessly as he leaned his forehead on hers.

" you didn't ask for permission.... Yet again." She mumbled as she clanged onto him.

" Do I need any permission to kiss my girlfriend?" he raised his brow.

"When did this happen?" she shot back.

"from this very moment." He smiled.

"I need a proper proposal." She smiled teasingly.

"as you say.... Tell me when can I take you out on a date?" he leaned his head on her shoulders.

Pearl's smile faded and she grabbed his face in her hands making him look at her. " currently focus on your sister. Take a break, bond with her. It's a tough time for her. The scars won't fade away. Teach her to accept those and love herself. Stay strong for her. And talking about dates.... We can go anytime. I mean I am not going anywhere." She shrugged.

James smiled and kissed her forehead. " thank you for understanding... I will take you on a date that you won't be able to forget."

" You better." She fake warned him.

They looked at eachother and started laughing which was interrupted when James's phone pinged.

" Victor is here." He looked at his phone before saying to pearl.

"Let's go."

****

" Where is Lisa?" Victor asked once Pearl took their signatures and left.

"I had sent her back home." James replied.

"hmm." Victor thought for a few seconds before asking James, " Do you find her suspicious?"

"who? Lisa? No. why?" James frowned.

" There is something that just doesn't settle well with her. She is....too perfect." Victor mumbled thoughtfully. "A few days ago, my bodyguard told me that he found Lisa roaming around my office during my absence as if she wanted to enter inside. Then, her connection with Rose Evans and then the assassin who helped her while rescuing kia. When I confronted Lisa regarding this whole assassin thing, she said that the assassin doesn't wish to disclose his identity to us. I feel like she is hiding something."

"I will let my man do a proper background research on her." James said. He turned before stopping and turning back " are you going to punish her?" he asked.

"I don't know." Victor exhaled. He knows that Lisa was not wholly responsible for kia's kidnapping. She was just following orders.

" don't punish her." Kiara mumbled as she came in front of victor.

" and mind telling me what are you doing outside your room. Also, eavesdropping is not good." Victor crossed his arms and said in a stern voice.

" I was getting bored so I thought of taking a stroll. And I heard you unintentionally." Kiara said unapologetically.

"what did you hear?" James questioned.

"when you asked if you should punish Lisa or not. Vic, please don't punish her. You told me it was you who ordered her to not follow me that day, please she is not at fault. Instead, you should reward her because she saved me." She grabbed her brother's arms and gave him the best puppy eyes.

Victor's gaze softened and he patted her head. " alright, if you say so."

Kiara jumped in delight and hugged him.

I will surely find what you are hiding, Lisa.