CHAPTER 6: AWKWARD LUNCH

James was working in his office when there was a knock on his cabin door. He ordered the person to come in without looking up from his file. The door opened and his secretary stepped in.

" you asked for me sir?"

" yes miss winson, what are the updates about that restaurant?" he asked.

" sir, I tried contacting the owner of the restaurant; but he didn't reply to any of the emails sent to him." She replied.

"keep contacting him..... he doesn't know who he is messing with."

His secretary nodded and turned to leave.

" miss winson?" James called suddenly.

She stopped and turned towards him, " yes sir?"

" have lunch with me."

His secretary stared at him stupefied and blinked, "huh! Pardon?"

" I said, have lunch with me. Come." He stood up from his chair and buttoned his suit before ordering her to follow him.

Miss winson just kept on staring at his retreating back before following him. They entered into cafeteria and ordered lunch for themselves.

" so miss winson.......how are you?" james said after clearing his throat.

" uh! Fine? I guess." She replied unsure of what had happened to his boss today.

Awkward silence.

" right. Do you have a boyfriend?" he raised his brows.

His secretary looked at him skeptically before shaking her head, " no. why are you asking, sir?"

More awkward silence.

James felt like he was flying, a heavy weight lifted from his heart. Composing himself, he feigned a nonchalant look and replied, "just like that.......actually I –"

" am I interrupting something?"

Both turned to look towards the source of voice. Victor was standing there looking at both of them especially at his younger brother with a glint of amusement in his eyes.

Yes, go away from here.

James wanted to shout at him but restrained doing so.

" no sir! Not at all! I am done with my lunch.......i will just leave." Miss winson hurriedly stood up and practically ran away with her food. She wanted to run away before the conversation could become more awkward.

" flirting with your secretary James. How unprofessional." Victor mocked while occupying the seat that just got vacant and sliding the plate of sandwiches towards him.

James scowled at his brother, " I was not flirting. We were just talking."

" she appeared uncomfortable."

" did she? I just asked if she had a boyfriend?"

"what kind of boss asks this kind of question to his secretary?" victor exclaimed in disbelief.

Pearl winson joined king's corporation three years before. Till date she had proved to be a dutiful employee. She is professional, she is smart, she is punctual and she never leaves a chance for complains. Big green doe eyes, brown hair with blue highlights which is always pinned professionally, dressed in shirt and skirt; the girl reeked professionalism. Her these qualities floored James. Poor girl doesn't even know that her boss has a crush on her.

"leave all this, tell me about restaurant. Did you talk to the owner?" victor asked in serious tone; all the amusement vanishing from his eyes.

" pearl tried contacting the owner but no luck. I asked her to keep contacting him." James sighed.