CHAPTER 47

Although naturally everyone was looking forward to opening up their presents in the early morning hours of Christmas Day, it could not compare to the anticipation everyone felt for the Yule Ball. The gifts from my friends were lovely yet I was most enthralled by another mysterious present, encased in a black box with a white bow. I gently undid the bow and pried off the lid to find the hairpin that I could not stop staring at in Miss Pollyharker's Jewellery Shop. Hermione gazed at it longingly while I held the pin up to the light, its jewels glistening and the strings of silver pearls swayed as I smiled at it. Whoever sent this must have been watching me at the shop yesterday. Although flattered, it did feel creepy almost.

Hermione and I could hardly contain our excitement for the Yule Ball, and when the clock finally struck 3pm, we excused ourselves from the boys to start getting prepared.

"Do they really need four hours to get ready?" Ron asked Harry as we walked away.

Hermione and I looked at each other and I rolled my eyes. "Boys."

We both giggled but all I had to say was thank god we had those few hours because Hermione's hair took almost two. With the potion, I managed to twist her hair into an elegant and beautiful knot on the back of her head leaving some curled strands to trail down just beside her neck. It took me at least three tries to get it right but Hermione was very happy with the result.

For me, I opted for a loose bun style that Hermione pinned back and I had my shorter strands of hair curled slightly to frame my face. I looked in the mirror at Hermione's work and was in complete disbelief. "Hermione, it is beautiful."

"I'm glad you like it Kat!" She said, beaming. "Just the perfect hairstyle to show off the nape of your neck."

"Hermione, can you add the hairpin?" I asked, feeling shy.

She smiled. "Of course."

Hermione gently slid the hairpin through the bun, making sure it remained secure and I looked back in the mirror again. The pin suited the dress as beautifully as I imagined it would. Its silver tones and diamonds added an extra sparkle to my hair to match my dress, like a lone star in the night sky.

I turned back to face Hermione, "Do you want me to do your makeup?"

Hermione only wanted it to be very simple and I obliged. To be honest, I was also looking for something very simple, adding a sensual bronze to my lips and the faintest bit of glittering eyeshadow to match my dress.

We still had about an hour left until the ball when we changed into our dresses and Hermione's was a showstopper. A periwinkle dress made from layers of chiffon, that cascaded onto the floor, making her look like a delicate snowflake. When she spun to show me, the fabric floated in a sea of pale purple before resting daintily back in place.

It was 10 minutes to 7 and we had to leave, now. "Hermione, we are going to be late."

"Kat, maybe this was a bad idea," she said, looking at me anxiously.

"No, this is not a bad idea," I said, massaging my temples. She has been a nervous wreck for the past fifteen minutes, complaining about the pressure of being Krum's partner and that everyone would be staring at her. "If you don't come with me right now, I will go without you."

She stomped past me. "Ok fine, let's go then."

"Good," I said, smiling. Slipping my arm through hers we walked down the moving staircase to reach the Great Hall. "Just remember, Mione, have fun and ignore whatever... ummm... Ron says."

"Why would I need to do that?" she asked.

I sighed. "Well, Ron doesn't know you are going with Krum, so naturally he is going to be pissed."