CHAPTER 42

The biting chill of the beginning of winter just started to properly set in and classes resumed as per normal. Of course, this meant back to the Blast-ended Skrewts and Hagrid was telling us he was unsure if they hibernated or not as we all shivered in the crisp Winter air. Each of the Skrewts was now approaching six feet in length, according to Hagrid. Their thick grey armour, powerful scuttling legs, stingers and suckers in random places and of course, their fire-blasting ends all combined to make these creatures the most repulsive things we had ever seen. The class looked dispiritedly at the enormous boxes Hagrid had lugged outside, all lined with pillows and fluffy blankets.

"We'll jus' lead 'em in here," Hagrid said, "an' put the lids on, and we'll see what happens."

Hagrid wanted to see if they could hibernate, so we were each given our own Skrewt again and a separate box laden with food and warmth. Malfoy and I sat in front of our own box in utter disbelief.

"The thing has grown more than twice it's length in the span of two weeks!" I complained, looking at the ugly Skrewt.

"You're telling me," agreed Malfoy, for once. "I wonder how you can put it in the box?"

I scoffed. "Me? No, no, no Malfoy, WE."

"I am not putting my hands on that thing."

"You have never touched it!" I exclaimed.

"Nor do I want to," he said, slightly blanching at the sight of our Skrewt, rolling in the grass. "We can stick to our allocated roles, you handle that monstrosity, I will take down observations."

"You gutless bastard. I never agreed to it."

His lips curled into a smirk. "I won't lend you my notes from the previous few lessons."

"I dare you," I tested, shocked at his audacity.

"Watch me."

I tried to snatch his notes from him, maybe to gain the upper hand but he dodged and dangled the notes over my head as I lost my balance and fell onto his chest. He started to chuckle devilishly and I looked up at him, gazing into those almost mesmerising grey eyes with just the slightest bit of emerald green encircling his iris. His smirk didn't falter as he too leered at my face, his eyes trailing down to my lips. "You're staring, Aydin."

"I could say the same thing about you, Malfoy."

He brought his face down so it was next to my ear and whispered, "If you wanted to throw yourself at me like this, you could've just asked."

I leapt off him instantly, a tinge of red staining at my cheeks as he continued grinning deviously. Ignoring the weight of his gaze on me, I threw on my dragon hide gloves to protect against the stinger and pulled the leash over the Skrewt, dragging it to the box, though it resisted and fought me every step of the way. Malfoy sniggered when I stumbled a bit. "If you laugh at me, Malfoy, I will shove you into the box with the Skrewt."

He shut up immediately.

"How am I supposed to pick this thing up and place it in the box?" I sighed, placing one hand on my hip as I stared at the large Skrewt that started to crawl away again. I held the leash tightly.

"Use your brain, as small as it is, there is a better way," commented Malfoy as he snapped the book shut.

"Enlighten me," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Tip the box sideways, bait it with some food and once it goes inside, close the lid and flip it back over," he instructed.

To my dismay, I didn't have anything to say to disregard the suggestion because it was genuinely a good idea. I stormed to the side of the box and knocked it to the side in front of the Skrewt, throwing some frog livers in there. Once the Skrewt saw them, how though, I had no idea considering its eyes were bloody tiny, it darted for the livers and once it was inside feasting on its food, I tipped the box upright, using all my strength and slammed the lid closed.