CHAPTER 37

Hermione was pacing inside the dormitory when I got back from Arithmancy, her arms crossed over and head down as I watched her walk briskly from one side of the room to the other. Harry must have found out he would have to face dragons, and for Hermione to be this stressed, obviously he didn't take the news well.

"This is probably the most exercise I have ever seen you do," I joked as she stopped in her tracks, almost tripping over her own feet. "You're going to put permanent footprints in the floor."

"Kat, thank goodness you are here." Hermione ran up to me, her face close to mine. "HARRY HAS TO FACE DRAGONS FOR HIS FIRST TRIAL!"

"WHAT?" I shouted, feigning surprise. "Dragons... real, tall, scary, sharp, fire breathing dragons?"

"Those exactly! We need to come up with a plan! Harry is at a complete disadvantage."

"Do the other champions know?" I asked her, already knowing the answer.

"Yes," Hermione said. "Harry saw Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxine, so of course they will tell their champions the task."

"Does Cedric know?"

Hermione pondered for a moment before shaking her head, "No, I don't think Cedric knows."

"Well someone has to tell him!" I said. "It is not fair that the other champions know and he doesn't."

I grabbed my jacket and kicked off my slippers, quickly slipping on my shoes. Hermione followed me as I rushed down the stairs into the Common Room. "Kat, where are you going? We need to help Harry."

Before I reached the door, I turned to face her. "We will, I will, I promise, it's just... I need to tell Cedric, otherwise it's unfair. I'll be back soon."

I rushed out onto the Grand Staircase and walked briskly to the Hufflepuff common room, falling into a jog, surely I could catch a student about to go in and ask them to send Cedric out. Hopefully I would have that sort of luck tonight, the first trial was in two days and Cedric would be forced to face the Swedish Short Snout.

My pace slowed as I reached the entrance to the Hufflepuff dormitories, watching a student tap on the barrels in a quick rhythmic motion.

"Excuse me," I asked, approaching the student. "Would it be possible if you could get Cedric for me. I need to speak to him, it is very important, my name is Katerina."

The student nodded her head, her plaited pigtails bobbing and was about to enter inside, pausing for a moment before turning to me. "I can bring you inside, maybe that would be better."

"Thank you so much!" I replied with a bright smile on my face.

The girl redid her passcode to the Hufflepuff entrance, not caring that I watched every tap on each barrel, memorising them so I would know how to enter the dorms if I ever needed to. I just hoped the password didn't change often. I soon entered the Hufflepuff common room where wall hangings of black and gold decorated the room, the carpet in a mustard yellow with chairs of a similar shade. Students chatted animatedly, some in their uniforms and others in their everyday clothes. I quickly found Cedric sitting next to the fireplace with a few of his friends, lying on the couch. His head rested next to the girl who sat on the very end. A sudden pang of jealousy reverberated through my body.

"Cedric," I said, releasing a little bit of that anger I held for the girl next to him as I approached the hearth.

He quickly shot up and stared at me, slight panic etched into his features as he hoisted himself off the couch. "Kat... What are you doing here? Is everything ok?"