CHAPTER 26

I began making my way around the Riddle House. The final glints of sun stretched across the town as I scoured the perimeter, surely there must be an easy way to get inside. As I continued to quietly walk around the manor, I noticed smoke rising from a chimney, that must be where Frank Bryce lives. Well, it would be in my best interest then to enter the premises as far away from the caretaker's house as I could.

Finally, I concocted the perfect plan to enter the house unseen and unheard. A large tree stood with its branches peering over the brick wall and I began the climb, holding onto the thin branches and knots of the tree for dear life. I threw my bag down first, flinching at the large thud it made. I quickly followed, jumping over the fence and rolling onto the grass, laying there in a sprawled heap.

I shot up instantly, wincing at the slight twinge of pain in my arms, wiping off all the bits of grass and dirt that clung to my jeans and jumper. The landing could have been better, more graceful, but at least I didn't die, I thought optimistically to myself.

Retrieving my bag I made my way to the side of the house, standing under a smashed window on the second floor. I realised I would have to do more climbing. Clutching on the rusted drainage pipe, I began hauling myself up until I finally reached the smashed window. Luckily, I was able to silently slip inside.

There was stillness in the house and it was ominously dark, I could not hear even the squeak or scuttling of a mouse, like the manor was drained of every bit of life. It felt as if I had walked into a den full of dementors. The house had an icy draft and I shoved my hands deep into my pocket for warmth, one clutching my wand. I dared not use my wand for light in case I draw unwanted attention. With each step I took, the floorboards creaked and clouds of chilled air puffed out with each wavering breath. The house was so quiet, eerily quiet that I could hear the pounding of my heart in my chest.

I walked out into the corridor and checked each room until I felt a sharp point press into my neck. My breath hitched and the point dug further into me.

"Pettigrew, I am here because the Dark Lord has requested me." I hissed, holding the letter that was sent to me.

The wand is slowly lowered from my neck and my breathing eased again. I heard a gruff voice from behind me and I instantly knew it was not Pettigrew with the wand. "Now, why would a student offer themselves to the Dark Lord."

I quickly turned around to see a pale man with scraggly straw hair, hanging over his eyes. Lines of age marked his face and he smiled with a diabolical madness that sent shivers down my spine. I began to retreat a couple of steps back, wanting to create distance between us before I felt a hand on my shoulder. I whirled around to find Pettigrew staring at me. I only truly realised now how much danger I am in. They could kill me in a second and the world would have no idea.

Pettigrew said, "The Dark Lord is ready for you."

He guided me to a room with dim lighting emanating from the entrance and my heart started racing again. I was to meet the most evil wizard of all time, Voldemort. My head was a mess of thoughts and alarm bells were ringing, I didn't want to go inside, I wanted to leave and escape from here.

My breath hitched when I saw Voldemort in his pitiful state. He beckoned me closer in his rasping voice. "You were the one Wormtail talked about. Come closer child."

I hesitantly stepped forward to truly see the monster that lay on the chair. "After you skilfully erased Wormtail's memory, I took it upon myself to restore it. Katerina Aydin, what can you offer of value to me?"

I was frozen in fear. Aware of Wormtail snickering in the corner and the other man standing in the shadows behind me, ready to attack if I dared do anything to the Dark Lord. Voldemort seemed amused by how my terror clutched me tightly and sealed my mouth shut. "Where has all your confidence gone? We do not mean any harm but I cannot guarantee your safety if we find out you were lying to us."