CHAPTER 25

I shot awake. 

The faintest glint of sunlight crept under my curtains. I threw the covers off, and began preparing myself to meet the Dark Lord. Doing a quick check that I brought everything I needed to, the front door creaked shut before the rooster could even crow.

It was difficult getting to Little Hangleton, and by the time I managed to arrive, it was already noon. Little Hangleton was a small village. People were hurrying along the cobble pathway, the smell of pastries and freshly baked bread leading my attention to a bustling cafe. I went to turn away, wanting to find the Riddle House but my stomach growled in protest. I yielded to it, besides, I am not that eager to go see Voldemort anyway.

I opened the door to the cafe, hearing the tinkling of the bell as the door closed shut. After ordering my food and a cappuccino, I make my way to a window seat, bathing in the warmth of the sun spilling through the window.

"Your coffee and croissant," said the waiter as he gently laid my plate of food and coffee on the table, snapping me out of my daze.

I noticed as well that he placed a small strawberry tart on my table as well. "I didn't order this," I said pointing to the tart.

He looked up at me and smiled. "It's on the house."

"Oh thank you, that's very generous."

"So you're not from around here are you?" he asks, casually taking the seat in front of me. His black tousled hair falling in front of his striking blue eyes.

"What makes you say that?"

He lightly chuckled. "This is a very small town where everyone knows everyone. And usually they are just a bunch of old gossips who have retired and are looking for a rural town to live out their days."

"How come you are here then?"

"I am visiting my family for the holidays."

"Interesting," I replied, stirring my coffee before scooping a small amount of froth into my mouth, its foamy texture melting on my tongue.

"So what brought you to Little Hangleton?"

"My friend loves exploring the countryside and small villages. She enjoys dragging me along for her adventures but she became very sick right before we were about to leave and since we had already planned everything out, I decided to go by myself," I lied.

"Well your friend has poor taste," he smiled. "The only interesting places here are the Riddle house and that creepy shack no one dares visit because they believe it's haunted."

"I heard there was a murder at the Riddle house," I inquired, intrigued.

"From what my parents told me, the old manor was inhabited by a snobbish and unlikable wealthy family who were found dead by a maid that worked there. Of course, no one was particularly sad about the event although it provided good gossip material for all the village folk."

"Fascinating. So no one lives there now?"

"It is technically owned by a rich investor but no one stays on the premises, except for poor old Frank Bryce, he is the caretaker."

"Ahh, maybe I should stop by and have a look at the house."

"Maybe I can take you there." he said, smiling flirtatiously.

"I'm sure I can find it myself," I replied, trying to ignore his offer.

"But isn't it all the more exciting to have a local give you a personal tour?" 

"Hmm," I pondered the suggestion for a moment, before replying with an amused smile as I sipped a little bit of my coffee, "Is the haunted shack on the itinerary as well then?"