CHAPTER 15

I was walking out of the Great Hall by myself after breakfast, Hermione already left earlier to check up on Harry, bypassing all the students that were leaving to go back home for Christmas. I would go home for some peace at least, but I knew that I had to stay, just to keep an eye on things.

"Look at this pathetic mudblood staying at Hogwarts," said Malfoy, turning to his gang of assholes and snickering. "Do your parents not want you home?"

I smiled sinisterly. "I would rather stay here and be surrounded by people who actually care about me than not," I said to Malfoy. "What are family dinners like? Nonexistent?"

The smirk on his face instantly dropped. He walked toward me and I thought he was going to punch me. To be honest, I probably deserved it. I could see Pansy pouting at his proximity to me as he leaned forward and menacingly whispered, "Don't talk about what you fucking don't know."

I could feel his hot breath tickle my ear and I looked directly at his grey eyes, reminiscent of the dying embers in my fireplace, "I know a lot more than you think Malfoy."

I stepped back, a fake smile flashing across my face before turning on my heel and leaving.

God, I hated him. But I couldn't help but detect a sense of dejection in his tone, masked by the anger. I guess not all of us are blessed with loving parents like mine were. I wondered what they were doing now back at home. I hope they have tried to resume a normal life, I hope they knew how much I loved them and I hope they don't have any regrets or they don't in some way blame themselves.

But most of all, I hope whoever killed me was rotting in hell.

***

"Harry please," said Hermione, who I could hear was on the verge of crying, seeing her eyes glassy with tears, "please be sensible. What Black did was monstrous, but d-don't put yourself in danger, it's what he wants."

I walked toward them and I patted Hermione's back. "She's right Harry, don't do something you will regret, your parents wouldn't have wanted you to get hurt. They'd never want you to go looking for Black, no matter what anyone says."

He looked at me, seething anger in his eyes, "I'll never know what my parents would have wanted thanks to Black, I've never spoken to them."

"Harry, you know that's not what I meant," I said quietly.

An awkward silence hung in the room filled by the crackle of the fire and rattling of windows from the wind.

Ron clapped his hands together. "Look, it's the holidays! It's nearly Christmas! Let's – let's go down to visit Hagrid, we haven't seen him for ages."

Hermione was about to object before Harry stood up abruptly and said, "Yeah, let's go."

We each grabbed our coats, scarves and gloves as it was lightly snowing outside but there was a howling wind that tugged at my hair and whipped at my legs. It seemed that we could never escape from devastation, whether it be Harry, Hermione or Ron, despair and misfortune always seemed to follow us. And at Hagrid's it was no different.

He opened the door with red eyes, swollen from crying and tears streamed his face. Harry's desire to ask, or maybe interrogate Hagrid on why he never said anything about Black vanished and we were all ushered into the warmth of the cabin.

Hagrid showed us the letter from the school governors and as we read it, we could hear Hagrid sniffle and uncontrollably sob behind us. It was decided that Hagrid, along with Buckbeak would have to go to the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures for a hearing, all because of the complaint lodged by Lucius Malfoy.