CHAPTER 29

The high from the victory did not die down as we trailed back to our tent, joking and laughing. Ron looked a little bit disheartened by the Irish victory, but was always the first one to mention that it was Krum who got the snitch and ended the game on his terms.

"There's no one like Krum," said Ron with a passionate gleam in his eyes. "He's like a bird the way he rides the wind. He's more than an athlete, he's an artist."

Fred and George threw an Irish flag over the top of his head, dancing around Ron.

"I think you're in love Ron," Ginny said whimsically as she walked past him.

"Shut up," replied Ron, rolling his eyes as he pulled the Irish flag from his head, messing up his bright ginger hair.

"VIKTOR I LOVE YOUUUUUU!" chorused Fred.

"VIKTOR I DOOOOOOOO!" sang George.

And then we all joined in, including me. "When we're apart my heart beats for you!"

We all burst into laughter as Ron looked embarrassed, yelling profanities and calling us names. I giggled. But it was soon halted by my realisation that I needed to leave. I looked at my duffle bag, visioning the cloak and mask I needed to wear as I would be parading around the camp as a Death Eater.

I yelled to my friends. "I'm just going to head out for a bit, I'll be back."

"Ok," said Arthur. "Don't be too long."

I nodded as I grabbed my bag and exited the tent. I had to go to the meeting place of the Death Eaters but first I needed a place to change and hide my bag, I didn't need anyone recognising me.

I was heading towards the exit of the vicinity, my walk at a quickened pace as I truly realised how little time I had left. In the safety of darkness and the throngs of trees that covered my view of the camping grounds, I wrapped myself in the black robes and held the mask towards my face.

This was it. 

I was truly going to become a Death Eater. My grip tightened on the mask, its edges digging into my skin. And I put it on my face. My vision was slightly obscured but other than that, it was perfectly moulded to my face.

I was to meet Barty Crouch Jr and Voldemort's most devoted followers and I was utterly terrified. My heart thudded in my chest, ready to burst open. Thoughts of being captured and arrested and my identity revealed raced through my mind. But most of all, I was scared of the irreparable damage I was about to do.

He was waiting in the clearing and noticed me slip into the group of Death Eaters eagerly waiting to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting wizards and most importantly, the muggles.

"You all know what to do," he said and we marched off towards the camp. Crouch grabbed hold of me and a wicked smile crossed his face. "You stay close to me."

He was watching me. I knew he was. He wanted to see me committed, he wanted me to prove my capacity for destruction, my blood lust, my loyalty. I was thankful he couldn't see my face as I trudged through the camp, listening to the once screams of joy now become earsplitting cries for help as chaos ensued.

People were fleeing for their lives, they were fleeing from me as I was forced to set tents ablaze and destroy precious belongings. I was thankful to be wearing a mask so Crouch could not see the tears pooling in my eyes.

I never wanted to do this. I never wanted to become... evil.

Then the worst of my fears came to light. Crouch and another Death Eater were levitating what appeared to be a muggle family. A man, woman and one small child who looked hardly ten years old. He released the spell and they dropped to the ground. The man wrapped his arms protectively around his wife and child, I could see the fear alight in his eyes, his dilating pupils shaking as he cradled his crying wife and child. They were completely at our mercy.

"Torture them," whispered Crouch next to me. "Watch them squirm and wriggle defencelessly. Watch as they quiver in fear and scream in agony."

I wanted to shake my head, I was hesitating. He could see that I didn't want to.

"I don't know the spell," I said, trying to sound confident.

The Death Eater next to me scoffed. "I'll show you."

He flicked his cloak behind him with the same flourish I had only seen Snape do and pointed his wand at the family. "Crucio."

A flash of red light was followed by their screams of pain that would forever echo through my mind. I watched as they clutched at their hearts, fisted their clothes, and writhe on the ground in pain. No, I couldn't do this. I couldn't inflict this sort of pain.

Please direct it at me instead, I begged silently. Turn your wand on me, anything, anything to stop this horror.

"Those Muggle vermin," sneered another Death Eater, whose blonde hair was slightly peeking out from underneath the mask. "Filthy."

Crouch then pushed me forward and said, "Your turn."

I had to have intention. I needed to want to torture them. I had to convince the Death Eaters that I was a true follower, that I remained part of their cause. I pointed my wand at the family, who were hardly breathing. This was all for the greater good I reminded myself before I snarled in the same vehemence as the other Death Eater, "Crucio."

They weren't even screaming anymore, it was like they became desensitised from the pain. Crouch and the Death Eater laughed as they each took turns torturing them. Silent tears streamed down my face. I wanted this to be over, please let it be over.

It became eerily silent. Crouch pointed up at the sky with his wand and yelled, "Morsmordre."

A colossal skull with a serpent weaving in and out of the eye sockets and mouth flashed through the sky, repeating itself over and over like one would see in the Northern lights. I turned to my left and stared through the bushes in the distance, trying to see if I could spot my friends laying down out of sight. Once Crouch was satisfied with the incantation, he gripped my arm roughly and dragged me to the forest.

"I will contact you soon enough," he hissed, his fingers digging into my arm, sure to leave bruises. "For now, spy on Harry Potter."

He released my arm and fled off into the distance and I ran in the opposite direction to where I had hid my belongings.

I tore off my mask with pure disgust. I wanted to melt it, to shatter it. I wanted to rip the Death Eater robes to shreds. I wanted to snap my wand in half because I just hurt people.

I hurt innocent people.

I wanted to sew my mouth shut permanently as that one incantation repeated in my mind over and over again.

Bile rose in my throat and I clamped my hand over my mouth before I heaved my guts in the tree next to me. I felt so sick.

I screamed with the sort of rawness that would rip one's throat. 

I cried.

Never in my life did I feel so monstrous.

And what was worse, this was tame in comparison to what I would be forced to do.