CHAPTER 6

Everyone eagerly finished their lunch in excitement for the first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson. We heard a bunch of stories from the senior and junior years who had Professor Lupin and they showered him with nothing but compliments.

He wasn't there when we arrived at our first lesson, but we all sat down at our desks. I was sitting next to Harry and Ron next to Hermione as we all took out our books, parchment and quills. I hate using those things, no matter how many times I practise, I always manage to smudge my writing and have blotches of ink lining the sides of my paper. 

Lupin smiled tightly as he breezed in the room, although his fashion sense was quite shabby, he looked healthier than he did on the train. As he began talking to the class, I couldn't help but notice the cuts that decorated his cheek. The faint lines were only slightly visible, so they must be old scars. But as I honed in those scars, I could tell they weren't normal scratches, in fact, they looked like claw marks.

The rustling of bags snapped me out of my thoughts as I realised everyone was putting away their books and scrambled to do the same. We were then escorted out of the classroom and made our way to the staff room, stopping right outside of a creaking wooden door as Lupin stepped inside.

The staffroom was a long, panelled room full of old, mismatched chairs, with all of them empty except one which contained none other than Professor Snape. Ew. As Professor Lupin moved to shut the door, Snape looked at him with contempt in his eyes and said, "Leave it open, Lupin. I'd rather not witness this." 

There is definitely some history here. Snape looked at Lupin like he wanted to rip his throat out, I could feel the loathing hatred seeping out of his every pore as he strode past the class, black robes billowing behind him when he left, muttering something about Neville and Hermione.

Lupin then said, "I was hoping if Neville could assist me with the first stage of the operation, and I am sure he will perform it admirably." 

Which made Snape hesitate at the door frame before slamming the door shut.

"Now then," said Lupin, beckoning his class towards the end of the room, where nothing but an old wardrobe sat, slightly wobbling as Lupin drew closer.

"Nothing to worry about," said Lupin calmly, "There's a Boggart in there."

"Boggarts like dark, enclosed spaces," said Lupin. "Wardrobes, the gap beneath beds and this one moved in yesterday afternoon. I took the opportunity to practise some spells with you. So, the first question we must ask ourselves is, what is a Boggart?"

Hermione's hand shoots up and she instantly begins reciting what was in the textbook, word for word, by memory. If I had photographic memory like that, I would've aced all my tests without needing to study.

Professor Lupin continued Hermione's explanation and said, "Nobody knows what a Boggart looks like when he is alone, but when I let him out, he will immediately become whatever each of us fears. This means that we have an advantage over the Boggart before we begin. Have you spotted it, Harry?"

Harry pondered the question for a moment, deep in thought and said, "Er – because there are so many of us, it won't know what shape it should be?"

"Precisely," said Professor Lupin. "The charm that repels a Boggart is simple, yet it requires force of mind. You see, the thing that really finishes a Boggart is laughter. We will practise the charm without wands first. After me, riddikulus."

The class echoed the incantation and Malfoy muttered behind me, "This class is ridiculous." I took a step back and stamped on his foot, hearing a sharp intake of breath as he tried desperately to hold his composure and not draw attention to himself.