CHAPTER 32

Everyone was looking forward to Moody's Defence Against the Dark Arts Class, especially after Fred and George's cryptic description of their lesson. Harry and Ron could hardly contain their excitement as we walked off to class. The only problem was that we would be sharing class with the Slytherins, again. I swear, if I have to see Malfoy's smug face in another of my classes, I might just kick myself.

We, like all the Gryffindors, arrived early to class, before the bell rang, and even a few Slytherins came early as well. In fact, the only ones that were missing were Malfoy and his gang of Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy, Blaise and Theodore. When I mentioned it, Parvati revealed that she had a terrible crush on Blaise Zabini.

Hermione and I hurried to find a seat at the front row once Moody opened the door and we began taking out our books like everyone else in the class before Moody, limping to the front of the classroom growled, "You can put those away. You won't need them."

Harry and Ron were beginning to look very, very excited as they shoved their books back into their bags forcefully, eyes never leaving the front, in fear that they might miss something. Malfoy and his group strolled in as well and threw their bags onto their desks, not bothering to take out their books.

"Right then," Moody said. "I've had a letter from Professor Lupin about this class. Seems you've had a thorough grounding in tackling Dark Creatures, correct?"

There was a general murmur of assent from the class.

"But you're behind – very behind – on dealing with curses," said Moody, a thrilled gleam in his eyes. "So I'm here to bring you up to scratch on what wizards can inflict on each other, I've got one year to teach you –"

"What, you aren't staying?" Ron blurted out.

Moody's spinning blue eye fixated on Ron who visibly gulped, but Moody's gaze softened, slightly. After a moment, he smiled, the first time I had seen him do so. Ron looked deeply relieved that he did not upset Moody.

"You'll be Arthur Weasley's son, eh?" Mood questioned. "Your feather helped me out a few days ago ... Yeah, I'm staying just one year and then back to my quiet retirement."

He gave a harsh laugh, and clapped his gnarled hands together. "So – let's get straight into it. Curses. Now, I'm not supposed to show you what illegal Dark curses look like according to the Ministry, but I say different! First, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable curses there are?"

"Three, sir," said Hermione as Moody began scribbling on the board.

"And they are so named?" asked Mad

"Because they are unforgivable," replied Hermione. "Use of any one of them will–"

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban," finished Moody as he violently scribbled onto the chalkboard. "Now, you need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!"

"Aw no way, the old codger can see out the back of his head?" murmured Seamus, annoyed at being caught.

Moody hurled his piece of chalk at Seamus. "And hear across classrooms!"

"Now, which curse shall we see first?" asked Moody, his normal eye drifting normally across the classroom at any eager students.

"Er," began Ron, putting his hand up. "My dad did tell me about one ... the Imperious Curse."

Moody walked close to Ron and stood in front of his desk, his normal eye focusing on Ron and the blue one frantically whizzing around, sweeping across the rest of the classroom. "Ahh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why."