CHAPTER 36

"I didn't put my name in the Goblet of Fire," said Harry adamantly as we strolled across the lawn in front of the lake, toward where the Durmstrang ship was moored.

"Yes Harry, we believe you." I sighed, having said that probably the hundredth time this morning as I handed him his pieces of toast and a croissant Hermione and I robbed from the Great Hall.

"Then why doesn't Ron?" Harry sighed, looking defeated and betrayed that his best friend would dare think he purposefully put his name in the Goblet of Fire.

Hermione kicked a rock and we watched as it skidded across the ground. "Harry, isn't it obvious?" she said. "He's jealous."

"Jealous?" Harry said incredulously, as he ripped a piece of toast with his teeth. "What's there to be jealous about?"

"Well, there is eternal glory, one thousand galleons of prize money to be won, global wizarding recognition and most importantly, no exams" I listed, counting each one on my fingers.

"After I bloody have to undergo three dangerous and life threatening trials of who-knows-what in front of everyone, at who-knows-when and who-knows-where, and I might not even win," exclaimed Harry, throwing his arms up in exasperation.

"That was a lot of 'who-knows'," I commented, tearing off a piece of bread before popping it into my mouth as Harry shot me a look.

Hermione sighed. "Harry, we know it's not your fault, it's just that you do get all the attention, even if you don't ask for it," she quickly added when seeing Harry's mouth open in protest. "At home, Ron has all his brother's to compete against, and you're his very famous best friend – he's always shunted to one side whenever people see you, which he puts up with, but it seems this is just one time too many..."

"Great," said Harry bitterly. "Just great, if he wants to swap with me, tell him, be my guest. Tell him, he's welcome to have people gawping at his forehead wherever he goes."

I abruptly said, "We are not telling him anything. Tell him yourself. It's the only way to sort it out. Talk. To. Him," clearly enunciating the last part so Harry could understand.

Harry turned to me, and snapped, "You think I didn't tell him all this last night? You think I didn't try and make him understand that this is never what I wanted? Someone out there put my name in that goblet, they forced me to compete."

"Harry, we get it, you're frustrated, but don't turn your anger on us," I said.

He sighed. "You're right, I'm sorry, but I'm not running after Ron trying to make him grow up." He then laughed to himself bitterly. "Maybe he'll believe I'm not enjoying myself once I've got my neck broken or —"

"Don't you dare say that!" interrupted Hermione. "That's not funny at all Harry. Ron will come round, he just needs a bit of time. Anyway, I've been thinking about what to do next –"

"Perhaps give Ron a good kick up the ass," said Harry, rolling his eyes.

"As fun as that sounds," said Hermione sarcastically, "No, you need to write to Sirius about this. Immediately."

"Hermione, I already made Sirius come back into the country because I told him my scar was hurting. He'll probably barge into Hogwarts if I tell him someone entered me into the tournament."

"Sirius will find out about it eventually," I said and Harry's head snapped towards me. "It's a huge deal the Triwizard Tournament, it will be all over the newspapers and radio. He would want you to tell him first."

"Fine," yielded Harry. "I guess we might as well go to the Owlery."

"You guys go," I said. "I want to head to the library first."