CHAPTER 20

"Wingardium leviosa."

The stick laying next to the tree flew up and I guided it to the knot at the base of the Whomping Willow with great concentration, just managing to tap the knot. The branches of the tree stiffened and remained still as I rushed into the derelict tunnel.

I bolted through the sharp twists and turns of the tunnel, relying only on the beacon of light emanating from my wand as I rushed to reach the Shrieking Shack where my friends and Sirius Black were.

"He's a werewolf!" I heard Hermione scream from inside. "That's why he has been missing classes!"

Ron was huddled in a corner, a dark patch of blood surrounding his leg from where he was bitten and Hermione had her arm wrapped protectively around Harry, their wands nowhere in sight. 

Without a second thought I burst into the room. "Thank goodness I finally found you guys. I was looking for you everywhere."

I was met with shock and silence, apart from the occasional creaking of the Shack. I turned to look at Professor Lupin as he stood next to a man with tattered clothes and a mass of filthy black shoulder-length hair. Sirius Black.

"Did I interrupt something?" I inquired, giving a small smile. My gaze fell upon Black and I schooled my face into a mask of complete ignorance of the dire situation at hand. "You must be Sirius Black, pleasure to meet you. I forgot to introduce myself, I am Katerina Aydin, a friend of Harry's."

I plastered a bright smile.

"What are you bloody doing?" asked Ron.

"Being polite. It's quite rude to not introduce yourself to new people."

"It's rude to kill someone's parents," said Harry curtly. "HE MURDERED THEM!"

"I don't deny it," sighed Black. "But you need to know the whole story, the truth."

"I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR LIES!" screamed Harry, his eyes burning with rage, ready to rip Black into shreds.

"Harry listen to me," implored Lupin. "Sirius did not betray your parents. But they were betrayed by someone we thought was their friend. You have to let us tell you the truth."

Harry's fists were scrunched at his sides, shaking violently in anger and confusion. Before, he could say anything though, I interjected. "We want to know everything. Only the truth."

Lupin nodded gravely. "Harry. I watched you tonight on the map, knowing you would sneak off with Hermione and Ron to visit Hagrid and Buckbeak. You were probably wearing your father's old invisibility cloak."

"How did you know about my dad's cloak?"

Lupin's eyes seemed lost in his childhood years of mischief and fun as he gave a small smile. "The amount of times we saw James disappear under that cloak only to torment the other students or steal food from the kitchens." 

He waved his hand impatiently. "Anyway, I know that despite you wearing the cloak it will appear on the map because after all, we designed it. I saw you leave Hagrid's only to be accompanied by someone else."

Harry, Hermione and Ron wore a face of confusion. They would never have known, never have even guessed as to why they might be with another person. Even I would have had no idea if I never read the books.

"I couldn't believe my eyes, I thought I must be seeing things."

Harry gestured with impatience,"But no one was with us!"

"It was then I saw another dot moving rapidly towards you. Sirius Black, in his animagus form. When he pulled two of you inside the Whomping Willow."

"One of us!" exclaimed Ron. "And he almost bloody tore my leg off."