CHAPTER 31

My timetable was not as terrible as I thought it would be. We had Herbology with the Hufflepuffs, Care of Magical Creatures with the Slytherins, I had my Arithmancy class and after that we had Defence Against the Dark Arts with the Slytherins at the end of the day.. Harry and Ron wouldn't stop grumbling about their Divination class.

"You should have given it up like me," said Hermione proudly. "Then you could be doing something sensible like Ancient Runes."

Harry and Ron rolled their eyes, not bothering to argue with Hermione. We were walking to our Herbology class when I saw Cedric conversing with Cho Chang. I never had the opportunity to talk to him after the Quidditch World Cup, and I wanted to clear the air, and besides, Cho looked a little too close to him. "Cedric!" I shouted, and walked over to him and Cho. "I'll see you guys in class," I quickly said to Hermione, Harry and Ron.

"Oh, Kat, hi," he said ruffling his hair, "long time no see."

"Yeah." I responded.

"Um, this is Cho Chang by the way, I'm not sure if you two have met," he said, gesturing to Cho next to him. I hate to admit this, but she was extraordinarily pretty and she gave me a wide smile, any guy would be captivated by her.

"Hello," she said brightly.

"Hi, I'm Katerina Aydin," I replied, grinning, holding out my hand so she could shake it, and she did, maintaining her smile. Her grip however, was tight and I had a feeling it was her telling me to back off. Who did she think she is? Letting go of her hand, I turned to Cedric again, "Actually I wanted to talk to you about the World Cup." In my peripheral vision, I saw Cho's cheery facade falter.

Cedric nodded, "Sure."

"I'll see you later than Cedric," Cho said, giving him a flirtatious grin then walking off, her hips swaying a little bit even as she passed by Harry.

"Look, I'm sorry I never got to meet up with you, but it all got so chaotic and well.... you know what happened." I apologised, despondently.

Cedric laughed. "Katerina, did you think I was mad about that?"

"Yeah.... I thought you were ignoring me!"

He gave me a warm smile and bent down a little bit so his face was closer to mine. "How could I ever ignore you? In fact, I was more worried that something happened to you during the attack."

I looked around as people passed me, ignoring Cedric's lingering gaze as it strayed from my eyes to my lips. "Cedric, people might get the wrong idea."

He scoffed, "Alright then," and lifted his head up again, grabbing my shoulders and turning me around to face the direction toward Professor Sprout's classroom, giving me a light push. "Now go to class, you don't want to be late."

I looked back at him and rolled my eyes. Then ran to get to class on time.

After the interesting but disgusting Herbology lesson where we were forced to collect pus from Bubotubers, we walked to Hagrid's and I did not have the heart to tell my friends what we would actually be doing. Hagrid was standing outside his hut, eager for his lesson with us, with one hand holding the collar of Fang and the other at his hip. As we all walked closer there was an odd rattling noise punctuated by small explosions coming from the couple of crates nearby.

"Mornin'!" bellowed Hagrid, grinning at Harry, Ron, Hermione and I. "Best wait fer the Slytherins, they won' wat ter miss this!"

"Miss what exactly?" asked Ron, looking slightly worried.

"I'll tell ya in a bit," Hagrid winked, his twinkling eyes darting to a crate that lay a few metres away.

We didn't have to wait long before the Slytherins marched down towards us, led by the most Slytherin of them all, Draco Malfoy. I rolled my eyes at the arrogance in his gait, the amusement in his eyes and the curl of his lip. His mere presence was to make anyone feel small and ignoble, to make it all the more easier to step on you, purely because you existed. His group stood next to ours, the distinction between houses remaining but he decided to stop next to me. Of all places he could've chosen, he decided here.