Chapter 45

Deep horror rises up in me. How could he fear me? The person he professes to love. Magnus has a smug look on his face, and it takes everything in me to not attack him. Christophe stares at me, saying nothing. There was no point in him denying how he felt. The walls were down, and I could hear and feel everything. He knew the mother was in me, and that was the part he was scared of. He didn't know what I was capable of, and he didn't trust me to make the right decision with her by my side.

My guard down, the mother whispers to me gently like a mother to a child.

Release me, and we will be free of all of them all. Your mother left you, Christophe lies to you, and Magnus forced you into a loveless marriage. We are stronger without them. Release me, and I promise to sever all your ties.

I shake away her intrusive thoughts. She would not tempt me to release her. It would be the end of all of us. There is a disruption in the distance, and we all stand alert like deer in a field. Someone was approaching Hornwood, and it wasn't human, not at that speed.

I make my way out into the garden and watch as a dark figure rushes towards us something was held in their arms. Without thought, my mother, Christophe, and Magnus stand by my side, poised to fight whatever was coming. It doesn't take long for the familiar pull to come as I realise it is my father. When I make the connection, he stops at a far enough distance to be safe from any attack. It's hard to see who he cradles in his arms. There is a faint whiff of blood.

Whatever was he playing at now. The person was not Enki, that was for sure. Curious, I open my mind to him. Of course, he knows this and was patiently waiting for me to let him in.

You don't have much time left to argue with me. I have your human father. If you want him to live a long and happy life, you and Magnus will come to me, and we will finish where we left off. There is no negotiation. He will die.

You bastard.

Tears fill my eyes. Just when I thought that life might just improve, I had to be brought back to reality. In an instance, Christophe is by my side.

"What does he want?"

"He has my dad."

There is silence as Christophe pulls me gently to him. Magnus looks at us unsure of what to do. I knew he felt the need to comfort me, but I didn't want him. In truth, I didn't really know if I wanted Christophe next to me either, but it was good to have someone to lean on.

My mother comes to my other side and holds my hand.

"I'm sorry, Taqeph. He never plays fair. He knows what will hurt you the most to get what he wants. He does not bluff. Humans mean very little to him. "

Magnus out of the blue curses and starts to pace. Whilst we were having our moment, they had obviously communicated with each other. I break free from Christophe and grab Magnus.

"What did he say? What does he want Magnus? It wouldn't surprise me if this was your game all along. Distract me whilst he attacks my father!?"

Magnus doesn't make a move. He is deep in thought. It was unusual to have him be so stoic. I expected him to have some dumb remark. I feel a tinge of deep pain, and it shocks me.

"Magnus, what is it?"

I hold his hand. It was difficult not to want to hold him when he was in pain. The natural instinct in me was to comfort him.

"He has Amahle. He has done things, unspeakable things."

"I'm sorry Magnus".

My mind races with what unspeakable things he has done. I expect the worst. Tharn knew how to get to the core of someone