V3 Chapter 10: Whistling in the Rain

Kiyotaka Pov
The walk back from the gambling scene was quiet but satisfying. Now that I think about it, that was one of the first times I gambled like that. I had been taught how to spot cheats as well as exploits in the games by some instructors but I was never allowed to say it.

"Gambling will prevent your development. Your career is dependent on your public image. Do not get involved with such a trivial activity."

Gambling was effective in more than one way, especially at this school. I can use these cards for scams against lower level students. Most Class D students from the 2nd and 3rd year would leap at the chance. I wouldn't be surprised if their monthly income was only about a 1,000 yen, maybe even lower.

Those classes but be filled of Yamauchi and Ike level students. Without a good leader they can't progress, and therefore stay at that level. Perhaps my year's Class D was blessed with a good leader.

What would have happened had I not enrolled in Class D? What if I were enrolled in Class C, or B, or even A?

Yamauchi, Ike, Sudo, Hondo would have been expelled. Hirata would probably be depressed with that situation. Class D would be stuck with 0 points. The other three classes I'm not sure how they would adapt to it. Class A would probably stay on top however.

Plunk

Was that a water droplet? I looked up to the dark night sky where the stars have disappeared into a dark blanket. Another water droplet hit the bride of my nose and I blinked reflexively. I held out my hand randomly.

The water fell against it, making my hand wet and moist. According to a study 3 years ago, it was revealed that many people enjoyed rainy days, some even standing in the rain. The reason was because people enjoy the serenity it brings as well as nostalgia oddly enough.

I suppose I enjoy the serenity; I don't feel any nostalgia from it. Those nights in the white dorm room with those thick, soundproof walls didn't allow me to hear the rain and thunder. The first time I experienced the sight of rain was in a Virtual Reality simulation of New York City.

The bright lights from the massive apartment buildings and advertisements shined off the puddles on the ground and into my eyes. The crowd of people around me almost made me feel suffocated even though in reality I was in a large room with a headset strapped to my face. Regardless, my focus was on the rain-not the fact that we were in Times Square in one of the most famous cities on the entire planet.

The girl beside me was so excited, I could hear her humming with joy. She occasionally gasped and giggled at the sights. Her name was Yuki.

A blonde girl with purple eyes that would make you feel warm inside. I suppose in an odd way she was the only warmth I had. A small warmth would be in my chest, and words would tug at the back of my throat, begging to be released. Words I didn't even know the meaning of vaguely appeared in my mind. I can't remember.

I furrowed by brow in frustration. The feeling of frustration was so irregular to me. The last time I felt it was when I was very young, 5 years old to be exact.

The exorcize was a group project oddly enough. I do not recall anything before that being quite like it. I was paired with a boy whose name I didn't care to remember. He was an underperformed. Frequently he would hyperventilate, collapse, and was always one of the last.

"Kiyotaka c-come on I need help-please!"

I didn't respond-I was too frustrated. Why couldn't he preform a simple task? Why was he having so much difficulty with one thing? It was a simple multiplication problem but he couldn't do it.