Chapter 40

((Hayden's Point of View))

By now Desi is seven months pregnant. I miss her every second of the day. There is not a time that I don't think about her. Wondering what she is doing. If she has moved on to some other guy, though the others keep assuring me that I am paranoid. Personally I wouldn't blame her for moving on. There is several years of an age difference between us. Not that much, but still a difference. Time apart might have made us drift apart.

In fact, I even wonder if she decided to keep the baby. I know she would probably never have the heart to get rid of the child she was carrying. But what if she is going to give the baby up for adoption? I may never get to see my child.

Because of my fears I have urged Jones to hurry up on research. Not that we can go much faster anyways. We have gone through almost every book that we could find. In fact, we are down to the last twenty five. Still nothing that will give Desi back to me.

Then I get a call from Jones. “Hayden, you better get over here quick.”

“Why?” I ask, chugging down my last bit of beer. Something I usually do to cope with the fact of her being gone. Drinking after six is how I spend my nights. Only way that will numb some of the pain of having her not by my side.

“Put the damn beer down and get over here now.” he says urgently. Then he quickly hangs up.

I sigh, tossing the can into the trash. I climb into my car, glad that that was my first beer and I am still able to drive. I head over to Jones' house. I see Hanna's car is here. So I automatically assume Mason is with her. Then the twin's car is here too. Desi's brother usually rides with them so I am guessing that he is here too. Must be something really important to have everyone here.

I walk inside to have Hanna come up and hug me tightly, smiling.

“What's going on?” I ask.

“We did it.”

I look around and see that even Alicia, Desi's mother, is here. This must be something big. Major.

Jones smiles at me. “I found a way to get Desi back.”

“How soon can I have her back?” I ask quickly.

“One month is all you have to wait.” he tells me with a smile.

One month before I have to see the girl that I love. One months before I have to see how far along she is.

One month before I have to see if she has replaced me or not.