Chapter 3

Ms. Dotson stared at me in shock. "What are you doing here?"
I didn't know what to say.
"She is here because with a project in my class." he says cooly.
"And why is she in your bedroom?" she asked.
"Because I was using the bathroom." I lied.
"I doubt that." she pulls out her phone and dials a number. She then walks outside of the room.
"Shit! We're dead!" I said.
"It's not like we were doing anything innapropirate." Hayden says.
"We were playing spin the bottle for crying out loud!" I said, throwing my hands up in the air in frustration.
"Not if you stick to the story." he says.
"Mom is going to kill the both of us." I told him. "For getting caught like this."
"Go get Hanna and Mason to get out of here." he orders.
I nodded and went into the bathroom. They stared at me. "What are we going to do?" Mason asks.
"Get out of here." I tell them. "It's better if it was just me caught here."
They nod and sneak out the window. "Call me if you need any help," Hanna tells me before disappearing.
I walk back to Hayden. "They're gone."
"Who's gone?" Ms. Dotson asks coming back into the room.
"That's the titleof my project, it's a poem." I tell her.
"Doubt it." she snorts.
"Believe what you want it's the truth." Hayden says. "I wouldn't get involved with one of my students. I'm not that type of person."
"Whatever." she says.
Just then cops come into the home. They stare at me and Hayden standing next to each other. Next thing I know they're putting handcuffs on me and him.
"We didn't do anything!"I said.
"You were with a teacher and that is an act of adultery." oneof them said.
"We were working on an extra credit assignment." I said.
"Not from what we've heard." the other cop says.
"Well she'swrong." Hayden says calmly. "Not Desiray, butMs. Dotson is. Nothing is going on between me and Desiray."
"We still have to take you downtown." they say as they drag us out of the house.
I catch sight of Mason and Hanna before I am pushed into the back of the cop car with Hayden.Then we start the drive totown.
"I'm sorry about this." Hayden mutters to me.Low enough towhere I was the only one that had heard it.
"It's okay." I mutter back. "I don't blame you. Did you see that smug look on Ms. Dotson's face?"
He nodds.
"I hate her." I told him. "Ever since she spilledcoffee on my new cashmere sweater at the beginning of the year, it's been a constant war between us. This is just a way to get back at me."
"It's not your fault either. You should have seen her at lunch. She was hanging all over me. Like she was trying to seduve me or something." he said. He shutters.
"Yikes." I said. I shutter too. "Mental image stuck in my head!"
He laughs as we pull up to the station and are taken out of the car.
We were placed in an office in front of a desk. One of the officers sat in front of us. "Now would you like to tell me why you were at his house?" he asks me.
"Two reasons. One to help me with my homework and an extra credit assignment in his class. Two he's friends with my mom and she didn't want me to be at home alone so she asked him to pick me up as a favor to her and keep me at his house until she could pick me up."
"We will have to call your mom to check on that story, but you will be staying here until then."
Just then my mom comes bursting into the room. "I came as soon as I heard." she said. "I'm so sorry I got you into all of this, Hayden, I didn't know you picking up Desiray would cause this much trouble."
"It's all right, ma'am." he said. "Since you came here they can both be freed."
"Thank you." Mom says.She turns to us. "Let's go."
Hayden and I followed her out of the building.
"That was close." she said.
Hayden sighs. "I know, only because my stalker burst into my house."
"What stalker?" Mom asks shocked.
"Ms. Dotson." I explain.
"Oh, wow." she says. "Well there is only one way to get rid of her. You come and live with us, Hayden."
"Thank you, Ms. Riley." he says.
So Hayden is moving in with me. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?