Chapter 7

"This is the girl your marrying?" A thin, snobby looking lady asked. She looks at me up and down.
"Yes, mother," Hayden says. He puts an arm around my waist. "This is my mother and father, Desiray." He seems uncomfortable around them. And I could see why. They both had a snobbish look to this, as if they could careless about being here.
Mom didn't seem to like them either. I could tell by the look on her face that she didn't.
"I'm Martha Edwards and this is my husband Charles." she said. She didn't offer her hand to shake, neither did he.
Mom invited them to stay for dinner. All through dinner Martha kept making comments about how drabby the house was and things like that.
"Why does your hair look like that?" Martha asked me. "It's so dark. You have a young face, use light colors unless your trying to be a gothic."
I surpressed the urge to roll my eyes.
The door rang and I was thankful to jump up and go get it.
Hanna and Mason walked through.
"What are you doing here?" I asked them.
"We were supposed to come over tonight." Hanna said. "I got better and decided to come." She saw my face. "What's wrong?"
"Meeting the in-laws, and they're complete snobs." I said.
"Perfect timing for us to come." she says with a wicked smile.
I groaned as she made her way to the dinning room. Mason and I followed her with a sigh. What were we going to do with her?
Hayden gave me a questioning look which I answered with a shrug.
Martha looked at Hanna and Mason in shock. "What are you circus freaks? What on earth happened to you?" she asks Hanna. "Did you get attacked on the way to preschool?"
Hanna got extremely pissed off but I gave her a look that told her to shut up.
This was one of the two last straws Martha had broken. Mess with Hanna, you mess with me.
She then looks at Mason. "What are you? Some kind of emo boy? Or are you a girl want to be since you have your ears pierced?"
That was straw two.
"Listen here, ass hole," I snapped, getting her attention to me. "You leave my friends and family alone. Mess with me all you want to. But don't mess with them. Or you'll find your ass right on the street."
She just smiled at that. As if the thought of that pleased her or something. "I like you." she said.
"What?" Hanna, Mason, Mom, and I asked at the same time.
"I wanted to make sure that Hayden had someone with a little fire in her, that's why I had to see if you would bite back with a harsh comment." she said.
"And you had to piss her off to do that?" Hayden asks.
She nods. "That's the best way to bring fire out of someone."
Well that was the strange way I met my in-laws. Later that night I decided that I liked them too. They were strange, but they would still be family. Can't chose family, I guess.