Prologue

Heeeey! So, if you're new here STOP! This is a prequel to my first story "A Strange Mixture" which is up fully on my page! IF YOU READ THIS BEFORE IT WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS! You've been warned.

Warnings: Azkaban Sirius Black, Young Rita Skeeter, mentions of past war/trauma/death/and abuse.

January 28th, 1983

"Black!" The guard growls. Sirius Black looks up, away from his tiny, barred window. He faces the bars of his cell, where the guard...and a woman stand. "May I help you?" Sirius asks. "Yes, Mr. Black, my name is Rita Skeeter...a new hire for the Daily Prophet!" the woman introduces. Her long green dress scrapes the dirty floors of Azkaban Prison. "If you're here to google at me like an animal in its cage-then pay me off like cattle! You can see yourself out, Miss Skeeter!" Sirius snaps, turning away once more. "It's not like sir..." Rita sighs. She crosses her hands elegantly in front of her, a notepad and quill in them. "Might you leave us for a moment?" she asks the guard. He nods, stepping off to the side at the end of the hall. Sirius shuts his eyes, facing the window once more. "A beautiful full moon tonight, isn't it?" Rita wonders, stepping closer to Sirius's cell. "Yeah...gorgeous..." he mumbles. Rita sighs, frowning gently at Sirius. "Sirius...mind if I call you that?" "Call me what you like" "Noted".

She thrums her fingers against her notepad gently. "I'm not here to make a mockery of you...as a new hire, I like to broaden my mind with stories...real...stories" she begins. Sirius looks ahead once more, studying the shining full moon above. "You have a great story to tell Sirius I know it...trust I have no intentions to mock any part of it...any at all" she promises. "You wouldn't understand my story..." Sirius scoffs. Rita smiles, feeling him starting to warm up. "I feel that's how most people respond to it...hm?" she assures. "Indeed, with confusion or...hate!" Sirius answers. "Hate? Hates such a strong word, isn't it?" she asks him. "Depends on its use..." Sirius replies. She nods, opening her notepad. Her green quill springs to life, readying to write for her. "Explain that to me...what do you hate, Sirius?" she wonders. Sirius huffs, smirking slightly. "Where do I begin?" he jokes. "Anywhere you'd like..." Rita mutters. Sirius turns around once more, facing the young lady. She is about eighteen bright blonde hair tied with a green ribbon. Long emerald gown with red mary janes and matching red glasses. Pear earrings and necklace. She is quite put together.

"I hate broken promises...they're my biggest hatred" Sirius answers. Rita nods, her quill beginning to scratch on her notepad. "I hate my awful parents...and they need to be seen so perfectly!" Sirius continues. He glances down at the dirty floor beneath him. "I hate rats! And I hate being dirty...or seen as dirty!" he rants. Rita listens carefully, a sorrowful glint in her eye. "I hate war! I hate fighting-arguing...pain" he adds. "Indeed..." Rita sighs. He glances back up at her, watching her shut her notepad and her quill fall back into her hand. "I'd like to speak somewhere else...more intimate...would that be alright?" she wonders. Sirius nods instantly. Desperate to leave that horrid cell. Rita motions for the guard, who returns holding large keys. He turns one into Sirius's lock, and the gate opens. "Stand back, Black-you know the rules!" he barks. Sirius nods, holding out his hands. Just as the guard pulls out Sirius's chains, Rita stops him. "No no...none of that" she directs. Sirius pauses, looking up at the girl. She smiles back, flicking her wand at the guard. A confundus hitting him right on the temple. "Come Doll, let us walk" she insists, holding out her hand.

Sirius finds himself in a dark room, only lit by a few candles. Some crackers and wine on the table between them. Watching Rita ready herself ahead of him. "Alrighty..." she sighs, smoothing out her skirt. Sirius hums, sipping his wine slowly. "Right...please state your name and status for me, my dear? Just so I have references" she asks, opening her notepad. Sirius nods, setting down his goblet. "Sirius Orion Black III...prisoner at Azkaban prison, 22 years old..." Sirius mutters. Rita hums, watching her quill write down the words. "And how long have you been here?" she asks. "Two years" Sirius answers. Rita nods, facing Sirius once more. "Alright...what landed you here, feels we should start there..." she smiles. Sirius laughs, shaking his head. "Am I mistaken?" "No No...just how we ended here requires years of context". Rita's eyes glitter in excitement. "Indeed...do explain" she pleads. Sirius sighed, resting his elbows down on the table. "I fell in love with a man...a man the universe told me I couldn't have...yet I didn't listen" Sirius began. Rita sighs, crossing her legs elegantly. The only sound around them is crashing ocean waves, and the scratching of her quill.

"His name was Remus...Remus Lupin...and by god did I love him" Sirius smiles. Rita smiles as well, her cheeks blushing just a bit. "My family was a terrible-terrible family...abusive, controlling, hateful...wanted nothing more than for me to marry and produce an heir...they thought they were the bloody royal family!" Sirius scoffs, flicking his wrist playfully. Rita giggles, glancing back at her quill. Making sure it's getting every word. "Let me guess, they didn't like this...romance, did they?" Rita assumes. "No! No...they should've seen it coming, they had just banished my cousin two years before for marrying a muggle-born!" Sirius explains. "Miss Andromeda Tonks, yes, her husband works at the Ministry with me!" Rita cheers. Sirius nods, smiling slightly. "I had a family outside of blood...my friends, my love, my cousins...my baby girl..." Sirius recounts. Rita's eyes widen, her quill perking up as well. "A daughter?" she whispers. Sirius nods again, smiling sadly. Looking away from Rita. "My darling Slyvia..." Sirius mumbles. Rita slinks down in her chair, sadness overcoming her. "Left alone with her Daddy...wondering when I'll be home...they didn't even let me say goodbye" Sirius whispered, tears rushing through his eyes.

Rita reaches over the table, holding out her hand. Sirius takes it gratefully, squeezing her hand in his. "When did this all begin? This...This love, that brings us here?" Rita asks. Sirius hums, looking back at her. "1975...Hogwarts school, my fifth year..." he answers. Rita nods, her quill dating a new page. "I had known I was gay for two years at that point, I had ended my first real relationship with my good friend Mary a while ago...and fell for Remus shortly after..." Sirius remarks. "Mary MacDonald yes...her Fiancé works with me as well" "Hm, Fiancé? Wonder how that girl managed one of those". Rita couldn't stop but giggle, tucking a finger in front of her mouth to stop herself. "I had a diary back then...one I haven't read in such a long time...I stopped writing in it right around the end of that school year...when Remus had tried to..." Sirius tries. But he trails off. "Hey...it's alright to get emotional...if you need any type of break just let me know" Rita promises.

Sirius nods, wiping his eyes gently. "I've never said I was a perfect person" he began. Turning back to face her. He pulled away from her hand, allowing her to sit back. "I had rarely anything for myself...for so long, all I wanted was love...and a happy life" he continues. Rita nods, tracing little doodles onto the wooden table with her finger. "I was excited to start anew...win the war, marry my Fiancé, raise my baby...but I'll never get to see any of that now...trapped for a murder I didn't commit" Sirius whispers. Rita's eyes light once more. "You...You didn't kill the Potters?" she repeats. Sirius shakes his head. "They were my best friends...the ones there to help when Remus and I would fight...who took care of me when no one else wanted to..." Sirius explains. Rita points to her quill, which begins scribbling even faster. "But I do know who killed them..." Sirius smirks. Rita gasps, placing her hands flat on the table. "Who?!" she wonders. Sirius sighs, picking up his goblet once more. And taking a long sip. When he sets it back down, Rita is practically shaking in excitement. "In order to answer that well...some information is notary required..." he says.

September 2nd, 1971

"Watch where you're going, man!" Sirius scoffed, flipping his hair out of his face. Remus rolled his eyes, holding out his hand. "Sorry" Remus muttered. Sirius grabbed Remus's hand and Remus pulled him to his feet. "Where you running off to?" Remus asked, adjusting the strap on his shoulder. "Charms-bloody Potter fucked with my alarm clock!" Sirius scoffed. "He tried mine too, but I caught him bright and early!" Remus chuckled. Sirius's eyes widened in realization. "Oh, shit-you're that Lupin kid I share a dorm with!" Sirius remembered. "I also go by Remus" Remus said, holding out his hand. "Sirius Black, pleasure" Sirius smirked, shaking Remus's hand. "Black? Heard 'em whispering bout' you on the train" Remus added, pulling away from Sirius. "Ah, what else is new!" Sirius shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets. Remus smiled at him. "Mind walking with me to Charms? We can be late together!" Remus asked. "Lead the way, kind sir!" Sirius said, bowing slightly. Remus rolled his eyes as he continued walking. Sirius threw his arm around Remus's shoulder, and Remus glared over at him. "I have a feeling we're going to be best friends Lupin!" "Sure".