Exam : Practical

Wednesday.

The next combat exam began. As cadets had to fight monsters in this exam, ordinary people were prohibited from spectating. Furthermore, because magicians' summoned monsters were of varying types and power. the exam was graded on an absolute scale rather than a relative scale.

"Be especially careful in today's exam. If you refuse to give up, you might really end up dying."

Kim Soohyuk gave a solemn warning. Just like he said, summoned monsters were dangerous. Even though they were summoned by magicians, they were unable to comprehend complex orders.

"Annihilate enemies and protect allies," that was the extent of the order they could understand. An order like "test that cadet's skill" was out of the question.

Not to mention, summoned monsters didn't just disappear into thin air when magicians reverse summoned them, so cadets had to be on their toes even after surrendering.

"If you think your life is in danger, give up immediately. You can yell 'I surrender' or simply tap on the ground twice."

"..."

I stood still and calmly listened to Kim Soohyuk's explanation. Chae Nayun was glaring at me from the side, but I ignored her.

"Magicians in charge of the exam will give the rest of the explanation. Give them a warm welcome."

The door opened and robed magicians walked in.

Summoner magicians weren't given any special treatment. The Magician's Tower had a strict hierarchy among magicians depending on their specialty, and summoner magicians were nothing more and nothing less than average. And because summoner magicians often worked outside of the Magician's Tower, they didn't have twisted personalities like most magicians.

"Nice to meet you all. I am the Chief Magician, Jin Joohwa."

The leader of the magicians bowed to the cadets.

"Today, you will fight monsters we will summon. But be careful, summoned monsters are no different from real monsters. Even if we reverse summon them, they won't disappear immediately like in games. So if things look dangerous, surrender immediately."

The cadets nodded at the magician's kind explanation.

"Good. Then we will tell you how the exam will proceed."

Jin Joohwa smiled brightly.

"Four cadets will go in at a time, and each cadet will be given 15 minutes. You will not be graded based on victory or loss, and your fighting role will obviously be taken into account."

Jin Joohwa stuck up his index finger.

"First is how long you last. Next is how calm you responded. In other words, you don't have to try to kill the summoned monster."

Wiing-

A smartwatch's faint vibration cut him off mid-sentence.

The magician looked around the room.

"Please turn off all smartwatches."

He spoke nonchalantly.

We also nonchalantly turned off our smartwatches.

Chief Magician Jin Joohwa's explanation dragged on for a long time. How the exam will be carried out, how groups will be formed, the types of monsters that will be summoned... I understood that he was a cautious person, but I just wished he would get on with the exam already.

"Now, we will begin the exam. Group 1 members should stand up."

Finally, he spoke the words I was waiting for.
Group 1 was Hazuki, Kim Junho, Yoo Jungjin, and Spenner. Hazuki was the only one I knew.