First Day: Special Status

Cube was the world’s greatest training institute that boasted state-of-the-art magic, science, and engineering. It was located in the East Sea on a huge artificial island twice the size of Yeouido. This huge area contained 5000 hero cadets, of which 1300 were first years. Although 2000 non-combatants graduated 2 weeks ago, elite cadets from all over the world would replace them and further increase the competition. In a sense, this place could be considered too harsh to be a proper home for 17-19 year olds. Starting from the second year, magicians who wanted to become heroes would also transfer from the National Magic University, adding another 200-300 cadets.

Furthermore, Cube also included training instructors, cafeteria ladies, store workers, cleaners, recruiters, government associates, engineers, security, doctors, and researchers who all took care of the cadets. All these individuals added up to a total population of around 50,000.

Naturally, investors highly regarded this place. Korea was a world power rivaling the United States according to my novel’s setting. I listed several reasons, but the most obvious one was that I was Korean.

Chundong could be considered an elite as a Cube cadet. His destiny should be detached from the main storyline since I didn’t write any story for him. He wouldn’t have to live the burdening life of a main character and would probably live a carefree life. I wanted that kind of life too. I sighed in front of the classroom door.

[Novice – Veritas]

Novice referred to first year cadets, while Veritas was our class name. Simply put, I was in year 1 class 1. I knew that Shin Jonghak and Kim Suho were also in the same class. Cliques would form around them and Shin Jonghak would instigate many schemes that turned the class into a mess. Most likely, I would get swept up regardless of my will.

“Huuu.”

I carefully opened the door after collecting my breath.

The interior looked sleek and clean. White with no sign of dust and three long desks cascading up. Where should I sit? I looked around and found Shin Jonghak in the farthest back seat. He seemed imposing with his closed eyes and hands in his pockets. His childhood friend, Yoo Yeonha, chattered next to him. The 2 of them didn’t pay any attention to me. Thank God.

I sat at the edge of the middle row. I looked straight ahead like a proper extra. A screen projected holograms instead of a chalkboard. I couldn’t help but sigh as I looked at it. I couldn’t believe I was back in school after having already done my mandatory military service. There couldn’t be a worse calamity.

“… Yaaawn.”

Cube’s semester began in February. It was cold outside and the warm room made me sleepy. Currently, it was 8 A.M and class would begin at 8:30. Honestly, I didn’t plan to arrive this early. Traveling from Seoul to Cube took less time than I thought with a portal, and I also expected to get lost. Fortunately, something called the Cube bus ran every 10 minutes around campus, which didn’t exist in my original setting. Now that I think about it, it was an oversight to always have the main character walk around the huge campus. Since the novel became real, it seemed to be fixing plot holes on its own.

Anyways, let’s sleep a little. I don’t want to think anymore. I closed my eyes and dropped my head on the desk.

“Now!”

A thunderous shout woke me up. The instructor stood behind the podium when I opened my eyes.

“Today’s the first day, so there won’t be any special training. But I hope all of you did your morning training. You can never go wrong with training in the morning when mana is most dense.”