Fame

The written exams went by like a breeze. From the first exam on Monday to the final exam on Friday, time seemed to pass in the blink of an eye.

I felt like I got everything correct. At first, I thought about aiming for an average score, but because I might end up scoring near the bottom on the combat exams, I did my best on the written exams so that I wouldn’t be held back.

Today was Saturday.

Combat exams would begin on Monday. During combat exam periods, Cube was open to cadets' family members, various Hero associates, and all institutions that hired Heroes. Naturally, Cube was bustling with people.

“Oh~ Cube’s rank 117, Kim Junha! I saw you on YouTube. My son is your fan. Can we take a photo?”

Because cadets’ families were present, the combat exam period was somewhat of a festival. It was a bit odd that teenagers fighting each other was considered a festival, but this was Cube’s tradition.

“We are in Cube, the world’s best Hero Academy…”

Reporters were also allowed in from approved broadcasting companies. Since becoming a Hero was akin to becoming a celebrity, the goal was to let cadets become used to being on camera.

“There sure is a lot of people.”

I was currently sitting in Hero Park, located in the center of Cube. Unlike how it was normally, the place was booming with people as though it was Disneyland.

“Ah! Hajin-ssi!”

At that moment, someone called my name.
Tap tap. I turned towards the direction of the footsteps.

It was Hazuki.

“Hajin-ssi, what are you doing here?”

“Oh… Just taking a break. Who are the two behind you?”

“My parents. This is my mom and this is my dad. Mom, Dad, this is my teammate.”

“H-Hello.”

I shook hands with Hazuki’s parents. They smiled and said something in Japanese. Since I couldn’t understand them, I just feigned a smile.

“Hajin. His name is Kim Hajin.”

Hazuki introduced me to her parents. It seemed they were asking for my name. After Hazuki told them my name, they grabbed my hands, saying “Hajin-san, Hajin-san”. I didn’t know what they were saying so I just replied with “hai, hai”.

In any case, after the greeting ended, Hazuki left with her parents.

Alone once again, I sat down on the bench. I couldn’t help but feel jealous of Hazuki, whose parents had come to see him.

‘Huu. If only Mom and Dad were in this world too…’

Just when I was having wishful thoughts… a crowd of reporters were gathering at the other side of the park. Thanks to my [Thousand-Mile Eyes], it was a breeze to see who was at the center of it.

Unsurprisingly, it was Cale Henituse. Next to him was a middle aged woman with slightly tanned skin. She was dressed immaculately without a hair out of place. She was holding onto Cale's arm with her purse in Cale's other hand. He was standing quietly besides her as she calmly breezed through the questions the press threw at her professionally.

He, on the other hand, was completely stoic, but I got the feeling that he felt like he was being put through hell.

They looked nothing alike, well except for their similar stoic expressions. Judging by how  [Setting Intervention] didn't alert me, I concluded that she wasn't someone from Cale's world. Crossing that off, I was left with one possible choice for her identity.