Part 35

An Alessia Russo goal saw the game end 1-0 to Manchester United, although I did not watch the second half as I was occupied consoling Leah, along with the help of Kim Little.

The doctor had informed Leah she was to attend the hospital tomorrow morning with one of the Arsenal physios where she would undergo further tests to determine the extent of the injury. Despite her being physically present, Leah was in a complete trance, her swollen puffy eyes focused on the wall ahead, showing no sign of emotion as the vacancy behind her eyes was prominent.

"She'll be there." I smiled to the doctors as he left the room, as my hand gently squeezed Leah's hand.

"I'm going to miss the world cup." Leah whispered, as her tears restarted to freely fall, gliding down her cheeks.

"Hey... hey, come here." I responded, pulling her closer to me as she nuzzled her head into my chest, my hand stroking through her hair.

Silence filled the room, my mind ran overtime trying to find the words to comfort her, the truth is, there was nothing I could do or say to help this situation. Despite my silent prayers of hoping the injury wasn't too bad, I knew it was.

We were broken from the silence and Kim returned to the room, her eyes switching between me and Leah before she spoke.

"Leah, the girls are ready to go. We need to make our way to the coach."

"I want to go home with Mel" Leah sniffled.

I looked at Kim for reassurance, as I wasn't sure if this was possible.

"I think you have to come back on the coach but leave it with me. I will go and check" Kim smiled before exiting the room again.

"Please can I come back home with you?" Leah now questioned me, the hopefulness in her eyes causing my heart to ache for her. "I don't want to be around anyone else right now."

"If you're allowed too, of course you can." I smiled, placing a gentle kiss on Leah's forehead.

Before long, Jonas had arrived. "I know you have asked to go home with Mel, but unfortunately we need you to come back with us Leah." His voice was sincere, but I knew this was not the best option for Leah right now.

"I'm happy to take her home if it's what will make her more comfortable right now." I queried.

Jonas shook his head. "No, I'm sorry that is not possible. It's protocol I'm afraid.... We'll be leaving in 10 minutes Leah if you could please make your way to the coach."

With that, Jonas left the room.

"I don't understand why I can't come back with you." Leah whispered with desperation in her voice.

"I know baby, I'll be home by the time you get back though" I attempted to cheer her up. "Come on, I'll help you to the coach."

Thankfully Lia had taken Leah's belongings to the coach and so luckily, we could go straight to the coach, the doctor had provided Leah with a set of crutches before leaving earlier and so I walked slowly behind Leah offering support as she hobbled to the coach.

Before heading onto the coach, I pulled Leah into one final embrace. Wrapping my arms around her back as I held her tightly. "I'll see you at home." I told Leah.

"I'll see you soon." Leah responded, a small smile on her face. The first I had seen from her since this morning.

The drive home was torturous, my mind playing tricks on me as it replayed the image of Leah going down on the pitch, the look on her face as she walked limped off the field, the sound of her sobs in the medical room. I wanted to be with her, I wanted to get home as quickly as possible. Was she okay on the coach? Are the girls looking after her? What if she does miss the world cup, how is it going to affect her? Our relationship?