Part 26

Leah's Pov

The memories of last night are a blur. I remember having pre drinks with Beth and first arriving at the venue, after that, I have no idea what happened. I've awoken this morning in Beth's room, the slight sound of her snores seemed to echo around the room causing my hangover headache to be worse than usual.

I lay in silence, racking my brain to remember last night, nothing. After a few moments, I suddenly remembered I had invited Mel to attend the celebrations. Did she turn up? I don't remember seeing her.

As I unlocked my phone, I noticed the last text I had received from her was yesterday evening telling me she had arrived, and asking where I was.

I decided to text her, hoping to get some clarity about last night and if she got home okay.

Leah

Good morning, did you get home okay? I've got the worst hangover ever. I don't remember a thing. Fancy going out for a late breakfast today?xx

As yesterday was only a friendly game, we were allowed to go back home today as I would be back training with Arsenal in 2 days.

I decided to take a shower, hopefully to refresh myself and get rid of this awful headache.

As I made my way to the bathroom I slightly chuckled at the sight of Beth, who was still in last night clothes fast asleep.

-------------------

Mel's Pov

Last night was the worst sleep I had in a long time. How could things seem so perfect between Leah and I to then end like they did last night.

I understand she was extremely drunk, but that is no excuse to speak to me the way she did.

Did she really think that of me?

As people say, drunk words are sober thoughts, right?

My eyes were sore from the tears I shed last night. I couldn't get the image of Leah last night out of my mind. Her anger, the vein which appeared in her neck as she became more irritable at my presence.

More specifically, her words whirlwind around my head on repeat. "You're just like everyone else that try and get to know me because of the fame, you don't give a shit about me."

I could feel my throat become drier as my breathing hitched, a sign that more tears were begun to flow down my face.

As the tears slowly began to fall down my cheeks, I heard my phone ping.

I immediately looked at the name on my home screen, Leah.

Leah

Good morning, did you get home okay? I've got the worst hangover ever. I don't remember a thing. Fancy going out for a late breakfast today?xx

"Is she for real?" I scoffed to myself.

There was no way I could meet with Leah today. I couldn't be in a relationship with someone who spoke so harshly about the person they apparently loved.

I decided not to text Leah back, I was hurt and angry over her actions and so I was in no frame of mind to be civil with her today.

This is not the first time Leah has stated she 'doesn't remember' what happened after being drunk.

-------------------

Leah's Pov

Thankfully I was feeling a lot fresher after my shower. Entering the bedroom, I was greeted by a now wide-awake Beth.

"Morning" I greeted, looking over to the blonde who was now sat up in her bed scrolling through her phone.

"Hey, how you are feeling?" Beth questioned, flashing a sympathetic smile in my direction.

"A lot better now I've showered" I chuckled, heading over to my phone hoping to see a message from Mel.

Nothing.

The disappointment must have been prominent through my facial expressions as Beth spoke softly.

"Have you heard from her?"

"Who?" I questioned.

"Mel."

"No, she's probably still sleeping." I stated, now locking eyes with Beth.

"Leah, uhm – I – do you not remember what happened between you two last night?" I could tell Beth felt uncomfortable at the lack of memory I had.

"No? What do you mean? What happened?" My heart suddenly began to beat faster, it felt as though my head was about to explode as the sudden dread overcame my body.

Silence.

"Beth, please." I pleaded.

"You two had an argument, a bad one. Mel left early and told me to tell you not to bother texting her last night, or even today when you're sober. I think you've really messed up."

I could feel my eyes beginning to water as I held back the tears. I couldn't have messed up again, surely?

"What happened?" I barely whispered, my eyes not leaving the hands which were fidgeting on my lap.

"Mel arrived and we couldn't find you. I brought her over to our table and introduced her to some of the girls. Shortly after, you appeared but you fell onto the table, knocking the drinks over. One of which spilt all over Mel's dress. As you were slumped on the ground, a few of us tried to get you up off the floor but it was a struggle. In the meantime, Mary was standing with Mel helping her to try and clean the mess her dress was now in. That's when you flipped."

After Beth's last sentence, the room was eerily silent. My eyes are still refusing to move away from my hands.

"You accused her of flirting with Mary."

"What? No, I wouldn't do that?" the desperation in my voice growing as I struggled to believe I would even do that. I knew Mel. I love Mel, I knew she wouldn't ever flirt with anyone else whilst she was with me, especially one of my teammates."

"It gets worse." Beth exhales.

"This was the first interaction you had with her the whole night; she hadn't even had chance to say hello to you. An argument began between the two of you as Mel insisted, she wasn't flirting with Mary. Which she wasn't by the way.

By this point you were getting angrier and more worked up, the whole party was watching the interaction between the two of you. That's when you said it."

"Said what?" My voice is now cracking.

"You accused her of only getting close to you so she can crack on with your teammates. You then also said she was just like everyone else, only wanting to get to know you because of the fame and that she doesn't give a shit about you."

Beth's words left me speechless. Her words echoed in my ears.

How could I treat her like this?

I was lucky enough that she had given me a second chance and now I had gone and blown it with my person, the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

Mel was one of the good ones. She didn't have a bad bone in her body, I had never heard her speak harshly about anyone or seen her commit any wrongdoing. Getting to know Mel was one of the best times of my life. There have been times where people befriended me or flirted with me because I'm Leah Williamson, the footballer. Mel was different, Mel wanted to get to know me for being just Leah. She had no interest in fame, or money, or any of those things for that matter. She was the purest person I had met in a long time, and now I have blown everything with her.

Being with Mel was like a breath of fresh air, and for the first time in a long time I was happy, I was comfortable. Of course, I didn't mean those words I had said to her, so why did I say them?