Part 30

Mel's pov

After showering and changing into clothes Leah more than happily picked out for me from her wardrobe, we were finally ready to head to Amanda's to spend the day with her family.

Although I wasn't in the best frame of mind after last night, I knew a day with the Williamson/Baker clan would take my mind off the last 24 hours.

Leah informed me that due to the nice weather we were having currently, her mum was hosting a BBQ for the family to enjoy along with a few drinks.

Despite not informing Leah of this, I intended to stay away from drinking alcohol for a while.

Leah lived not too far from her family home, and so the car journey went quite quickly. Leah, allowing me to oversee the music for once helped with this also. Her hand was firmly placed on my upper thigh, I think as a signal of reassurance, something which I was internally grateful for.

Although I have met Leah's family before, and get along with them all extremely well, I couldn't help but be apprehensive about today, which lead me to drifting into a daydream as I watched passers by through the passenger window as we drove through Milton Keynes.

I was brought out of my daydream as we pulled onto the driveway outside of Amanda's, causing me to exhale a breath I didn't know I was holding. Just as I was about to unbuckle my seat belt to exit the car, Leah's hand found its way to mine as her eyes searched for my gaze.

"Are you sure you want to do this? We can go back to mine if you prefer?" Her tone was gentle, almost as if she was worried it would trigger the tears to begin, again.

"I'm sure Le." I smiled. "I just want everything to go back to normal."

"Come on then" Leah smiled back as she began to exit the car, not before planting a loving kiss to my lips as we headed towards the front door. Making our way towards the front step, Leah once again found my hand with her own as she intertwined our fingers, gently squeezing my hand. Another signal of reassurance which I didn't know I needed.

Leah headed into the house first, with me trailing closely behind her. As we entered the kitchen, the music and laughter could be heard from the back garden as it seemed everybody was already here.

"Do you want a drink?" Leah questioned as she let go of my hand to head towards the fridge.

"Can I have a bottle of water please?"

Leah grabbed two bottles of water from her fridge, before turning back to face me, just as Amanda entered the kitchen to top up her own drink.

"Mel! It's lovely to see you" Amanda beamed, before pulling me towards her into a loving hug.

One thing I love about Leah and her family is how affectionate they are. They are naturally loving and would do almost anything to help if you needed it.

The hug from Amanda lasted a lot longer than our usual encounters, but I felt it was exactly what I needed. Since I have known Leah, Amanda has been like my second mum. Welcoming me into her family with open arms, and despite the ups and downs Leah and I had faced, Amanda never allowed them to affect our own relationship. As my family were in Manchester, a "mum" hug was what I needed at this moment, and who else better than Amanda to fill that void, unbeknown to her of course although I had a feeling Leah would certainly fill her in at some point.

Leah watched on in silence, a smile beaming across her face at Amanda and I's close bond. As we pulled out of our hug, Amanda finally turned to greet Leah.

"Bubba! I'm glad you came." Amanda stated, pulling Leah into a warm embrace of her own.

"Thanks mum, nice of you to finally notice that I'm here too." Leah jokingly giggled as she pulled away from the hug.