Part 34

It had been several weeks since Leah and I moved in with one another, and things between us were the best they had ever been. We had settled in nicely and had adapted to our new routines.

Today, however, is slightly different to any other day. Leah had an away game today in Manchester as Arsenal were set to face United as the WSL title race continues. Despite the several injuries and lack of availability of players, Leah remained positive for the game and described how their game plan could lead them to winning the 3 points, which will be detrimental to their final position within the league.

As the alarm sounded, I instantly heard Leah grumble from beside me.

"Turn it off" she moaned.

Due to the later kick off this evening, Leah did not have to be at the training ground early this morning and so used this as an excuse to have a lazy morning beforehand.

I on the other hand was travelling to Manchester earlier to make use of the opportunity to visit the shop. Although business was going great, I wanted to check in and make sure everyone was doing okay and to spend a bit of time there. I was then going to travel to the ground to watch Leah's game.

Turning the alarm off, I lifted the duvet to head to the shower to prepare for the day.

Before I was able to swiftly exit Leah wrapped her arms around me pulling me back into the bed towards her.

"Le I need to get up" I giggled as she buried her head into the crook of my neck.

"5 more minutes" Leah mumbled, her breath hitting the skin of my neck causing goosebumps to appear.

"Okay" I nodded, placing a gentle kiss to the top of her head, wrapping my arms around her body.

After 10 minutes had passed, I finally managed to break free of Leah's grip and headed to the bathroom, ready for the long day ahead to begin.

Exiting the bathroom, Leah was now awake as she sat up in bed, resting her back against the headboard as she aimlessly scrolled through her phone.

"So what's your plan for today?" She questioned as I began to get changed.

"I'm leaving for Manchester at 11, so I will get there around 2.30ish depending on traffic, I'm going to spend a bit of time at the bakery just to check in with everybody and then I will make my way to the ground in time for kick off. What time are you leaving?"

"I have to be at the training centre for 12, we've got a meeting scheduled to finalise the tactics for the game and will be having food there. Then we'll be heading to Manchester on the coach."

"Are you family going to the game?"

"No, they can't make it today, but I've already cleared it with Jonas, and he said you can sit with the injured players, so you are not on your own."

I nodded in response, grateful that I wouldn't have to sit throughout the game with no company.

I already knew Katie was unable to play today as a result of a recent ban, and so luckily for me she would keep me entertained no doubt.

------

The drive to Manchester was surprisingly quick as I was able to miss the rush of traffic, arriving into Manchester at my estimated time I immediately headed to the bakery. I only had a few hours to spare as I kick off was at 7.15pm and I would then be driving back home once the match had ended.

Before long, it was time for me to head to Leigh sports village.

I was nervous for tonight's game, despite Leah's calm and collected demeanour, I knew this would be a tough game for the Arsenal girls and both teams desperately require the 3 points if they want to remain in a chance to win the league as Chelsea were currently sitting at the top with a game in hand, however a win for United tonight would see them regain 1st place.

As I arrived to the ground I was shown to my seat where I instantly spotted both Katie and Kim Little. Despite being unable to play tonight, both players had travelled along with the remainder of the team to show support to their teammates.

"Alright mate" Katie beamed as she embraced me with a hug, her Irish accent prominent.

"Hey" I smiled back before wrapping my arms around her. Also offering Kim a soft smile as I take my seat besides her.

"How are you feeling about tonight?" I questioned Kim.

"It will be a tough game for the girls, we know United are a good team and are dangerous on the counterattack. But I believe our girls can put up a fight through determination. We have a few players out of position, like Leah who has gone into midfield but it's nothing to worry about I don't think." Kim responded as Katie nodded in agreement.

------

The game quickly kicked off as Leah led the team onto the field. There was something about Leah being captain which made her more attractive than normal. Her stoney hard face makes me chuckle every time as she comes across as being scary, whereas deep down I know she is a big softie.

As predicted, United started strong in the first half as they bombarded Arsenal's defence.

Around the 6-minute mark, Ona Battle scampered down the wing, working the ball to Katie Zelem who in turn found the Lionesses striker, Alessia Russo, unmarked inside the box. Much to Arsenal's advantage, the shot was fired wide by Russo resulting in an Arsenal goal kick. Offering an opportunity to Arsenal to slow the game down and gain composure.

The next few minutes of the game were 50/50 as possession was quickly switched between teams, neither getting closer to the opposition of the goal.

Around the 12-minute mark, a pass from Nikita Parris found Katie Zelem who had now gained possession, Leah had raced towards Zelem quickly dispossessing the ball. However, my heart sunk to my stomach as I watched Leah fall to the ground and immediately signal for the medical staff.

The silence filled the stadium as we watched onwards as the physio's entered the field to attend to Leah. Kim instantly exited her seat and made her way towards the field to be with Leah. I on the other hand was unable to do so and instead sat besides Katie, struggling to hold back the tears.

Leah wasn't one to milk a challenge or to leave the pitch unless she had no other option. The physios signalled for a stretcher, making the extent of the injury seem the worst possible case.

Surprisingly, Leah refused the stretcher and instead was able to stand up. An eruption of cheers could be heard from both sets of fans. Despite being rivals, Leah was England Captain which gained her mutual respect from other supporters. Especially with the Women's world cup on the horizon.

Watching Leah limp off the pitch as she was aided by physios caused my heart to ache, internally praying that the injury was not as bad as what It looked originally.

The rest of the first half was a blur, I was unable to control my thoughts of anything else as I was worried about Leah. Thankfully Kim had headed inside with her and so I knew she was not alone, however there was nowhere else I wanted to be right now than beside her.

As the whistle blew indicating half time, I turned to Katie.

"Do you think there is any way I will be allowed to see Leah?" voice cracking at the raw emotions I was currently feeling.

"Erm – leave it with me, I'll go and ask for you now" Katie smiled, placing her hand on my shoulder before heading off down the tunnel.

Katie soon returned with good news as she told me I was allowed to go and see Leah. Following Katie inside my heart began to beat viciously against my chest.

As we finally arrived outside the physio room, Katie insisted to leave me alone with Leah.

Pushing the door I was greeted by a teary eyed Leah who was sat in the middle of the room on the physio bed, her hands were covering her face as the only audible sound were the muffled sobs coming from the blonde.

"Le" I whispered as I edged closer to the bed.

Her eyes instantly found mine as she pulled me towards her, burying her head into my chest as she her arms tightly wrapped around my waist.

"They think it's my ACL" Leah sobbed uncontrollably.