✿|⁴²

She hummed to herself as she washed the remaining plates from dinner and kept glancing out the window over the sink

She hummed to herself as she washed the remaining plates from dinner and kept glancing out the window over the sink. Nothing more than a large area could be seen until the forest path finally began. It could definitely be worse than a view that included nothing more than trees and your own property. No neighbors, no city lights, nothing. Just a lake and the woods.

“It's nice, isn't it?” James walked over to his sister, grabbed the cloth on the counter and dried the wet plates. “Dad loved the cabin, he always wanted one of us to have it.”

“Ugh, I would love to stay here forever. It brings back so many memories, plus it's so different from Cali. Much more peaceful.” She slowly looked up at her brother, who seemed a bit nostalgic himself. But she had also noticed that during dinner he acted different⸺ kind of dejected.

Finally she put down the last plate, drained the water and put a hand on her hip. “Is everything okay with you? You seem so lost today.”

“I'm okay”, James assured his younger sister, but then let out a sigh. “It was just a long day that was filled with tough decisions.”

The brunette furrowed her brows, shaking her head in slight confusion. “What's going on, James? No one's telling me anything but I know there's something going on.”

James noticed the concern in Cassie's tone and quickly turned around to face her, gently nudging her arm. “It's nothing bad, I promise. Well, at least you'll be happy.”

As if she wasn't already confused enough, James' words caused even more confusion and her patience was running out. Not knowing whether to worry or stay calm was tugging at her nerves. She just wanted to enjoy the few days in Tacoma and plan for her wedding.

“Can you just tell me what's going on?”, she asked urgently, but only got a shake of the head from her brother, which in turn only made her sigh again.

“Just talk to Happy, Cas. He was going to tell you about everything later anyway”, he told her with a wink before his features hardened a bit, looking at the brunette with concern. “Happy told me what you did⸺ the suicide attempt. Do I need to worry that it'll happen again?”

“Oh, really?”, she asked in surprise, but she looked relieved when she heard that Happy wanted to talk to her anyway.

At James' next question, her cheeks were glowing in a soft pink and her gaze dropped to the floor. She didn't like that James knew about it, it was embarrassing, but she also understood that Happy had to talk to someone about it and wasn't mad at him about it at all.

“No, you don't have to worry about that”, she mumbled in embarrassment, rubbing the back of her neck. She tried desperately to block out the event and not to think back of how she had felt when she heard that Happy was supposedly dead. Even though he was here, sitting comfortably in the living room with his son and enjoying a beer, it still scared her.