✿|²⁹

Turning her head from one side to the other, James took a good look at his sister's face. A big bruise had formed around her nose, still a little bit of dried blood left under it that he carefully wiped away after grabbing one of the wet towels on the coffee table.

“What the fuck happened?!”, he barked, his eyes landing on Happy who looked even worse, much worse, than his sister. “Who did this?”

“The Rivals MC. Three of them were in the house when I came home. Fucking bastards wanted revenge”, Happy growled lowly while Chibs cleaned out the wounds that were all over his torso. The clubs medic had insisted on checking on him, too.

Happy had called him so he'd check on Cassie and her nose, he didn't care about his own injuries⸺ he knew he would be fine. And even if not, Cassie was more important. Yet he didn't complain when Chibs told him to stop being so stubborn and just let him do what he was good at.

“Revenge for what exactly?”, Jax inquired with his arms crossed, a concerned expression on his face while the blood inside him began to boil. No one had the right to hurt his club or any of his brothers, especially not an Old Lady.

“Remember when Clay ordered me to kill Preston Malarkey? VP of the Rivals is his brother”, Happy explained, his eyes quickly back on his Ol' Lady who still hadn't said much since all of this happened.

“Fuck.” Sighing, Jax ran a hand over his face. “That's why they stirred up shit in the first place. They know what this little shit did?”

Happy just shrugged his shoulders. “Don't know. But who says they gonna believe us if we tell them?”

“So, there's a new threat?” Tara, who had been there the whole time because Jax took her with him just in case they needed an actual doctor, asked from behind her husband. The all so familiar judgemental look back on her face.

“None of your concern, we're gonna handle it”, Jax answered coldly once he saw the judgement in her eyes. He knew exactly what she was thinking.

“They attacked a pregnant woman, Jax. You think they're gonna sit back now and wait before you guys retaliate?”, she scoffed. “This shit means all of us Old Lady's are in danger, maybe even the kids. This life means nothing but danger!”

“Since when do you care if kids get hurt?!”, Cassie snarled, her eyes darted at the doctor. Even though they managed to get along since a while, it pissed her off that Tara became judgemental once again. “Why are you still here if you hate this life so much?”

The men in the room shared a look, all of them aware that this could escalate quickly. But they had to agree with Cassie on that one.

“How am I supposed to find all of this not alarming? Aren't you scared, Cassie? Look what they did to Happy and you”, Tara snarled back defensively. “And I told you so often that I never wanted Lily to get hurt. Shit happened, I tried to make up for it. But I can't just act like everything's fine!”

“No one said you have to act like everything's fine, Tara!” Cassie shoved her brother's hand out of her face who still washed the dried blood off it and got up, pointing a finger in Tara's face. “And you still let it happen, but that's not the problem now. I am scared, yes, but it's not their fault those idiots showed up. They're going to deal with them and it's our job to support them. If you can't do that just leave.”

With a grunt and a proud look in his eyes, he stood up and put a hand on Cassie's lower back. This was exactly how an Old Lady should be. Supportive. Something that wasn't Tara's strength.

“Don't let her provoke you, little girl”, he rasped in her ear before kissing her temple.

“Just get the fuck out”, James muttered under his breath. It was a wonder that he even accepted Tara to stay in the same house with him. Yes, she wasn't the one who hurt Lily, yet she could've prevented it from happening.