✿|³⁴

trigger warning; suicide attempt!!!

Don't read if any form of suicide is a trigger for you!

Cassie stepped aside so James could walk in her house. She was still angry at him, yet she knew he didn't mean to patronize her. Having grown up with a club, she knew that every member had to stand behind their Pres. And she had disrespected Jax earlier, but she didn't regret a word she said. It was about time Jax finally became himself again.

So she took a deep breath and decided not to be mad at James any longer, instead she wanted to know how the meeting went and why Happy wasn't with him.

Together with him she sat down on the sofa, the dim light the only thing that gave them some light since it was already dark outside. And since Callum was already in bed and Lily had already been picked up by Lyla, she didn't want to leave the lights on everywhere.

“So how did it go? Is Happy still at the club?” she asked nervously, rubbing her clammy hands together. Every single muscle in her body tensed.

She watched James and how his face was slowly losing all color, looking like he was about to throw up any second. It was also difficult for him to look into her eyes, which was usually never a problem for him.

“Cassie I⸺”, he paused, his breath shaky as he spoke. You just didn't want to have to tell anyone such heartbreaking news and he was really struggling with his own feelings, which made things a lot harder. He knew this would break Cassie. Like, breaking her to the point where she was no longer able to ever recover from. “Happy didn't make it. They killed him and⸺ and we have proof.”

She looked at James in complete shock, her hands and whole body starting to shake before she started laughing. It was an uncertain laugh, a laugh that sounded more hysterical than joyful.

“Yeah sure”, she let out a scoff, shaking her head quickly. Tears welled up in her eyes as she tried hard to play it down, convincing herself it was just a dream or a joke. It had to be a stupid joke. “James I swear, this is not funny! Where is he? I can pick him up if he can't drive himself. I⸺ I need to⸺”

She was pulled into James arms as the realization set in that he wasn't joking by any means, causing her to let out a heart-wrenching sob. The way her body sagged in his embrace, her loud sobbing and the way she clung to him like her life depended on it made him swallow hard. Her crying got so extreme that she couldn't even breathe anymore and James wished he could take the pain away from her. But he couldn't. The only thing he could do was being there for her.

“I'm so sorry”, he mumbled against her hair, running his hand through her waves while he held her close, not thinking about letting go of her anytime soon. She was bawling and screaming, her face buried on his shoulder which muffled the sounds. It was like he could feel her pain only by listening to her suffering and it made him tear up, too.

If Jax wouldn't handle the Rivals tomorrow at their meeting, then he would. There was no way he would let one of those bastards walk away alive.

Cassie shuffled her way to Callum's room, her fingertips trailing along the wall, her gaze vacant and fixed on the floor. She had shed so many tears that she had none left, and yet her eyes were constantly wet and red.

After insisting that James would leave her alone because she wanted to spend time with Callum, she had pulled on a shirt that Happy had on yesterday and which still smelled like him. James had insisted on staying, but she didn't want that. No, she wanted to spend time with her son alone before taking him to Gemma.