✿|⁴⁰

With a beer in her hand Cassie sat down at her father's porch, her feet resting on the wooden railing

With a beer in her hand Cassie sat down at her father's porch, her feet resting on the wooden railing. Tom's old house, the one she and her siblings grew up in, was a typical cabin surrounded by the woods. Maybe this was the reason why the brunette loved spending time in the woods or at least needed a tree in front of her windows.

Thanks to Lee the house still looked like it did before her father died. He made sure to keep it clean and sometimes he would rent it to friends who needed to stay in town for a while. But he never had the heart to sell it or rent it permanently to someone.

As her gaze was fixed on the large garden, her mind was flooded with hundreds of memories. Some painful, some unforgettable and beautiful, and then there were the priceless memories she would never forget. With a nostalgic smile, she let her gaze wander to the small wooden staircase that led to the porch where she was sitting.

“I can still remember how you once rode your bike down there. Apparently you thought that was a good idea.” Lee sat down in the chair next to her with a grin, also a beer in his hand.

She had asked him earlier if it would be okay for him if Happy and she could stay here for a few days together with Callum and Opie. And that wasn't a problem for him. He himself was attached to the house, very much, after all Tom had been his best friend⸺ more like a brother just from another mother. But secretly he had kept the house in good shape for James or Cassie in the hopes that one of them would want the house at some point. Or maybe Benny at some point, although Lee strongly assumed the teenager would rather stay in the city.

“I still remember that day, or rather the pain”, the brunette chuckled, turning the bottle in her hand. “Dad wasn't an anxious person at all but I remember how fast he put me in the car and took me straight to the hospital because I told him my ribs hurt.”

“Yeah, he called me, totally in panic, once he was at the ER. Never heard him freak out like this. Your brother found it pretty funny and mocked your Ol' Man for weeks for getting so scared”, Lee snorted a laugh at this memory.

“James was a handful”, Cassie smirked before her smile faded slowly. “I really miss him. Some days the pain is better. But when Callum was born I wished that Dad was still here. He would have adored him. I mean, that's what I wish for every single day, but especially when he was born.”

Lee stretched his arm out and put a hand on her cheek, giving her a weak smile. “He would've been the proudest grandpa. Tom loved you and your brothers more than anything. He would've loved Lily and Callum just as much. How are you doing, sweetheart? With all the parent stuff?”

“Oh he would've. He would've loved listening to Lily talk his ear off.” She let out a soft laugh and blinked away her tears. Every time she was here, she just got emotional. But thanks to Lee, she still managed to laugh. “Well, I really panicked when I found out I was pregnant but honestly, I love being a mom. But I couldn't have done it without Happy.”