✿| ⁰²

Cassie stared at the blonde sitting across from her sipping on her coke. Kayla was one hell of a woman and the dark haired woman loved her sister in law, yet she hated how stubborn the blonde was when it came to her husband's little brother.

Benny could be exhausting at times. His loud and bold personality made him seem rude and disrespectful sometimes, which was the reason many people distanced themselves from him. But none of them understood why the fifteen year old was the way he was. Sometimes Cassie thought they didn't want to understand and that pissed her off.

Her younger brother deserved the same chances James and her got. Deep down Cassie knew her little brother wanted to change, wanted to be seen as a normal teenager. Yet Benny had a hard time proving that he had a good and sweet side. It was there, the Connor siblings had seen it often enough when they were alone with him. But once people joined them Benny pulled his wall back up and behaved like a defiant child.

“He needs a place to stay and my place isn't exactly where a teenager should stay, Kayla”, Cassie almost whined, the pleading look in her eyes leaving Kayla cold. The blonde could be the sweetest person but if she didn't want something, she became that cold person. She wasn't always like that. But when the problems between James and her started Kayla became different, harder to read.

“If you'd get rid of all the weed and booze in your apartment then it would be a great place for him to stay”, Kayla stated matter of factly with a slight shrug.

“It's still my apartment where I can do whatever I want. I'm not here to listen to accusations. If I want to hear how useless I am, I just go to my mom”, Cassie shrugged. “Why can't he stay with you? You have two spare rooms, I don't have a free room at all. Not as long as Happy is staying.”

“Don't drag your mom into this.” Kayla rolled her eyes before heaving a sigh. The tips of her freshly manicured nails danced over the table as she looked at her sister in law. “I don't want him around my kid, Cassie. I know that sounds horrible but you know Benny. He's not a good influence.”

“Are you fuckin' serious?”, Cassie scoffed. “Benny would never do anything stupid in front of a toddler. You know Benny adores Lily.”

“Yeah, maybe. But is that enough to keep trouble away from our house?”, Kayla questioned, her brow raised at the raved haired woman. “You think I haven't noticed how stoned he was in the morning?”

“Well, then you shouldn't let me near Lily anymore either.” Venom was dripping from Cassie's voice as she saw the pejorative look on the blonde's face.

“If I had a say in this, I wouldn't let you near my daughter at the moment. Don't take it personally, I just want the best for my kid”, Kayla said with a shrug, a soft sigh leaving her throat. Judging by Cassie's look, her words had hurt the younger Connor.

“What the fuck, Kayla? She's my niece, I've loved her from the moment I found out you were pregnant. I was always there when you needed me and now you don't want me around?” Cassie's voice was raspy, no more than a whisper, as her throat felt increasingly dry. She never wanted kids on her own, she just couldn't see herself as a mother, but she loved her niece with her whole heart.

“Look, I told you not to take it personally”, Kayla repeated her own words, shaking her head at the unnecessary drama. “Let's face it, you're an addict. James doesn't want to see that because he's too attached to you. That's the only reason you're still allowed to see Lily. Because James wants it that way.”

“I'm not an addict”, Cassie spat, sounding rather offended than angry. She never smoked a joint or drank before visiting Lily, she wasn't that fucked up yet. Besides, she could easily live without those substances, she just didn't want to. At least that's what she thought. “You know what, forget it. Benny can have my room.”