✿|¹⁹

It was a quiet day at St

It was a quiet day at St. Thomas, which meant Cassie had lots of time for her little patients. Most of the kids had visitors and the one's who didn't sat together in the common room of the children's ward like most days. Only one of her patients wasn't in the mood to join the other kids and asked if Cassie could read her favorite book to her.

It was the same girl Kyle told her about the day they had a 'date'. They found out the girl had cancer and that she had to stay at the hospital for a while. This was one of the reasons why the brunette was sceptical about working with kids. Taking care of sick people was always sad but watching a five year old slowly deteriorate was even worse and it broke Cassie's heart to know there was a 50/50 chance that the girl wouldn't make it.

This was just another reason why she never wanted to have children of her own. Her heart couldn't take it if anything like this would happen to her own baby. The more kids you had, the more worries would come with each kid. But it was too late for that now.

A small smile took over Cassie's face when she heard soft snores coming from the girl. She closed the book and put it on the nightstand next to the bed before tucking the five year old in. It wasn't even dinner time yet but the chemotherapy treatment probably caused the tiredness.

A soft knock on the door got the brunette's attention. Turning around only to see Tara stand in the doorway made her groan in annoyance. Two months had passed since she last talked to the doctor and if she was honest, she didn't plan on talking to her now. Especially not where twenty kids would be able to hear them fight.

“What do you want?”, Cassie asked while wrinkling her nose before getting up. 

“Five minutes of your time, please”, the older brunette asked in a pleading tone.

With soft steps Cassie left the room so as not to wake Lucy and closed the door behind her, her arms crossed in front of her chest while she eyed Tara suspiciously. Those would be five wasted minutes.

“Five minutes, not a second more”. Cassie nodded the doctor with her and sat down in a quiet corner in the common room. This way she was still able to help the other two nurses watch out for the kids and listen to Tara's bullshit.

With a grateful smile, Tara took a seat across from her, her eyes wandering around the room for a moment before her attention was back on Cassie. The last weeks were an absolute shit show and she had to fix things before it was too late. Jax barely talked to her anymore, made sure she stayed far away from the clubhouse most of the time and told her honestly that he was thinking about a divorce.

That's not what Tara wanted. She wanted her husband's trust back and the only way to show him how serious she was about their relationship was through Cassie, Happy and James. The three of them probably hated her with a passion after they found out she was Kayla's little helper⸺ something she still regretted.

“I know you don't want to hear this but⸺ I'm really sorry about everything, Cassie. If I could turn back time I would, I swear. I helped Kayla because I knew how she felt. She felt trapped and wanted out of this life. She didn't care about the price she'd have to pay. When I heard Kyle managed to get a 'date' with you I panicked. That was the moment I realized how fucked up her whole plan was. Fact is that I never wanted you to get hurt.” Tara's clammy hands lay in her lap as she nervously played with her fingers.