s e v e n

Athena Jones

I stayed on the bench for a few more minutes as the air got colder, I went back to my room where Hazel and Dahlia were still sound asleep. I laid down beside Dahlia because I felt like I needed to be close to someone.

She didn’t wake up as I crawled in bed beside her. She was sleeping with her arm wrapped around a pillow between her knees that were pulled up to her chest. I pressed my body against hers, my head laying on the pillow beside her, my eyes wide open in the darkness, not being able to sleep.

My body kept shivering throughout the night, and I stayed awake, letting my own thoughts torment me. I was angry at myself for not accepting his help, but I was also confused as to why he was being nice all of a sudden. It didn’t make sense.

"You Jinx everything"

I think I’ve heard that word before,  a lot actually, to the point I’m convinced it’s ture, it must be right?

Jinx. Jinx. Jinx.

A single word takes me 4 years back.

My mom hurriedly covered my face with her hands as I clung to her, my heart pounding with fear at the scene unfolding before me.

“You-I told you, you should have kept her inside!-“

“Rebecca, she’s a child!” my mom shouted back, her voice trembling as though on the verge of tears.

“He was a child too!”

Tears streamed down my face as I listened to their heated conversation, feeling the weight of their distress. My dad rushed over, his expression filled with horror as he took in the scene. I looked up at him, and it felt as if our eyes locked in shared sadness and confusion.

“I didn’t do anything-“ I managed to choke out through my muffled cries.

“She ruined my boy’s life!” the woman wailed, clutching the lifeless body in her hands.

Seeking solace, I hid behind my mom and dad, finding comfort in their protective embrace. My dad held my hands tightly as I buried my tear-streaked face against his waist, seeking refuge from the overwhelming tragedy unfolding before us.

“She ruins everything! I told you to keep her away. I told you to send her away!” I heard her voice pierce through the air, filled with anger and anguish. Meanwhile, my mom, with immense care, knelt down placing her hand on the woman’s shoulder

“I-I swear I wasn’t-“ I stammered, my voice choked with despair.

“Let me take you out,” my dad signs firmly . I resisted letting go of his hand, gripping it tightly as he guided me out of the room, away from the chaotic scene.

“Rebecca she’s a child –“

“She’s a fucking jinx!” I heard her screams echoing behind us as my dad closed the door, creating a barrier that shielded us from her searing words

I buried my face into the softness of the pillow, letting all those horrible thoughts and memories wash over my mind like a dark, cold wave of sadness. I could feel the tears trickling down my cheek, the weight of the events from the past slowly crushing my heart and making it harder for me to breath.