s i x t y - t w o

The next morning when I woke up the space beside me on Draco's bed was empty, Narcissa says he had somewhere to go, she offered for me to join her for breakfast and I did, after that she was showing me different flowers, while watering them.

I smiled, Narcissa was nice despite her cold appearance, I guess Draco's father and his brother being absent played a part, we walked to one of the ponds in the estate, narcissa was pruning the flower bushes. "This was your mother's favourite flower," she says to me showing me a chrysanthemum

"Really?" I say, my eyes lingering on the flower for a while, I remembered my mother would always have something of chrysanthemum flowers in the house, either as flower arrangements or as a piece fo jewelry.

I nodded, Narcissa sighed as if she found it funny that I was like my mother, we walked to another part of the garden, a rose bush stood over the other part of the garden, "she liked roses too" Narcissa said, as I walked over to the bush and picked one of the flowers.

"I'm guessing you and her were really close during school?" I say as she hands me a rose

Narcissa's face softened a little at my question, "yes, we were very close, she was my closest friend" she replied as she put on her gloves and started to prune some more weeds out of the garden, while I stood picking at the thorns of the rose my fingers brushing at the petals of the rose.

"Why did you stop talking then?" I ask.

Narcissa just stopped and looked at me in the eyes, no smile, no expression at all, like a stone statue. Her hands slowly lowered to the bottom of the rose bush where she had cut off a weed. "We had a ..." her voice trailed off for a moment, I could practically see her mind thinking it over, her eyebrows furrowed, "falling out" she finally said, "But heard about your father, I'm sorry" she adds sympathetically.

I sighed, not knowing what to say, I looked down, picking at the thorns on the rose as I said "it's alright"

I heard the sound of Narcissa's shears, and I looked over to see her starting to cut and prune the rose bush with care.

"Your father's death must have been sudden?" Narcissa said a look of sadness in her eyes,

"Well," I took a deep breath looking around to gather my thoughts "when his cancer came back it was pretty obvious he wouldn't make it this time"

Narcissa nodded, "I'm so sorry," she said as she continued pruning the bush, her focus fixed on the rose bush, but the sadness was still in her eyes.

"My mother never told me about you being her friend," I say touching the bushes

"Neither did she tell me about you," she replied, as she put down the shears and brushed her hands together, her eyes still fixed on the bush in front of her.

"So what happened? You said you had a falling out? I'm curious to know," I say as I try to keep the conversation moving, she walked over to the other side of the garden and looked at some of the other flowers, and I followed behind.

"I'm afraid It's a long story, with a not so good ending" she replied, she stopped and picked up another weed, as she looked at me with her brows furrowed.

"I've got time" I said, the morning was still early; it couldn't possibly be that bad.

Narcissa was quiet for a long while, she just watched as I continued to look at the flowers. Finally she spoke, "Would you like the watered down version, or the full story?"

"Whatever you want to tell" I reply, not waiting for her answer, she sighed and looked at me again.

"Let's sit down" she says, pointing at one of the benches outside the pond, she started walking towards it, as she gestured for me to follow.