46. Vehement

"It is clear that the troop led by Viridian Yari, Lyris Hatchet and Ralon Valdev were defending themselves from the attack caused by Mali Guterra and Han Do-Seong. There will be a virtual meeting three days from today for the final verdict. The court is adjourned."

After those words, Lyris and Viridian up and left to go take a look at the old hut again.

"You want us to come along?" Akaashi asked, as himself and Malek were about to part ways with the couple.

"No we're good," Viridian waved them off.

The half vampire and his mate walked their way towards the hut, both of them thinking that the fresh air and some alone time would bring them some good.

And they were right.

"No, I'm on Ross' side on this one." Lyris shook his head. "They were on a break."

Viridian stopped in his tracks.

"That's a bunch of bull."

Lyris threw his hands up in their air. "I'm just saying, you're either together or not. There's no such thing as a break."

"Okay so if I were to sl-"

"Don't even go there."

Viridian raised his hands up in surrender, locking an arm around his mate's waist.

Both of them stopped in their tracks once they reached the hut.

"Do you smell that?" Viridian asked, pushing Lyris behind him, as they guarded each other's backs.

"Yes. And it's coming from inside." Lyris pointed at the hut.

"I'm calling the squad." Viridian muttered, punching a small button in his vest.

Both of them took small steps towards the hut, planning on a sneak attack but it seemed like they didn't need to when the door opened all by itself.

The couple were on guard immediately.

As seconds passed by, an old man with a purple cloak emerged from the hut, raising his hands in the air.

"Who are you?" Viridian was quick with his question as brought out his fangs and Lyris, his claws.

"Don't tell me you forgot about me already, Viridian." The old man removed his good revealing an old and wrinkly face etched with age and a gentle smile.

"Old pop!" Viridian exclaimed, his expression replaced with astonishment and wonder.

Lyris looked between them with confused looks.

"How are you my boy?" The old man stepped forward.

Viridian jogged forward and hugged the man, breathing in his nostalgic scent. "I'm good, how come you're here?"

The half vampire pulled away, smiling at the old man.

"I came here because I have a duty to fulfill." The old man glanced between Viridian and Lyris and landed his gaze on the latter. "You are Lyris Hatchet."

Lyris nodded. "Yes but how do you-"

"Oh I know everything," the old man spoke with a light chuckle and gestured towards the hut.

Viridian lent out a hand to Lyris who took it without hesitation. "I lived with him when I was a kid. He helped me get my free-ranger rights."

Lyris smiled at his mate and leaned in to kiss his cheek, feeling affectionate towards him all of a sudden. "Sometimes I wish I could've met you sooner."

Viridian smiled bashfully as they sat themselves down on the now clean hut. It seemed to be the old man's doing.

"Oh you did." The old man said, sitting down on one of the chairs, making the the couple snap their head up.

"I'm sorry, what?" Viridian frowned, sitting down on the couch, his mate next to him.

The old man smiled gently with a shake of his head.

"This might take a good while."

--

Squad Q were outside the hut a couple of minutes after their Alphas alerted them.

Now they just lounged around the hut, listening to old stories of Viridian and Lyris, rest assured they were under no threat.

"Their parents were friends?" Kingsley asked, leaning on the threshold of the kitchen, referring to Lyris and Viridian.

The old man nodded.

"Yes, they entrusted me with an important duty."

Lyris leaned forward curiously. "You know, you mentioned that at least a dozen times now and you still haven't told us what that 'duty' is."

Viridian nodded. "What was it pop?"

The old man sighed, looking at each and every one of the boys in the room.

"It was an age old prophecy and nobody believed it--until it became true."

Malek snorted, making the boys look his way. "I'm sorry, but I just don't believe it."

"What was it?" Rama asked.

"It was that you two boys," the old man shakily pointed towards Lyris and Viridian. "Would lead a revolt."

"A revolt?" Linga frowned.

Marcus and the other guys of Squad Q just listened.

"Yes. It was vague and I myself didn't believe it." The old man took a breath. "Until your parents died."

"Okay," Viridian spoke up. "I don't care about the prophecy, what was your duty?"

"It was to make sure you knew about the prophecy." The old man said with raised brows.

Viridian groaned and Lyris patted his leg. "It's okay."

The old man smiled at the bond the two shared, and knew it was a real prophecy.

"Have you two taken a minute to understand the bond that appears around you?"

Lyris shook his head. "No, we thought it would just pass on after we mated."

The old man smiled slyly. "And did it?"

Lyris blushed. "I guess not."

"Well the prophecy stated that if your bond was pure as white and both in the bond loved and were loved by all they cared about, they would put an end to the evil that surrounds."

Linga frowned. "That surrounds what?"

The old man shook his head. "Just that."

Malek shook his head. "That dude just said words in English I don't know."

"Wait," Lyris raised a brow at the old man. "You don't know, do you?"

The old man smiled. "Indeed I do not."

Linga looked between them confused. "He doesn't know what."

Lyris shook his head with a chuckle. "He himself doesn't know the meaning behind the prophecy."

Viridian snorted. "Pop, like I said, prophecy and shit is outdated."

The old man scoffed. "I said the same thing."

Rama was slightly intrigued by all this as he asked. "Then what happened?"

The old man glanced between Lyris and Viridian.

"Then you two were born."