24. Almost

"Why did I agree to this again?" Malek muttered, stepping through into the woods.

"Because you're a good person." Lyris flashed him a grateful smile.

The two were wading through the dark woods with their transmitter turned off, trying to find a witch to help make sure that his mate and Tolen were okay. Lyris was hopeful, that his mate was alive since that's all he could feel from a bond this far. Their bond was present, but very faintly and that scared Lyris, more than he wanted to admit.

Lyris yelped, surviving a trap laid by the coven of witches.

"What do you want, Lyris Hatchet?" A lady-like voice boomed through the forest.

"What in the Harry Potter is this?" Malek scrunched his face.

The lady-like voice seemed to scoff. "Harry Potter? We're witches, not a lame wizard."

"Wizard, witch, same thing." Malek rolled his eyes.

"What nonsense?" The air suddenly turned cold.

"Mal, shut up." Lyris hissed.

Malek huffed, but complied.

"I'm very sorry about that, I'm here because I need a favour." Lyris voiced out.

"Hmm, very well, your reason?" The lady-like voice seemed much more calm now, and the cold air faded out giving space to some humidity to seep in.

"My mate and friend are stuck in an enemy territory, I want to know their status."

"Very well, but I hope you know everything comes with a price."

Lyris didn't hesitate. "What should I do?"

"We need a place to call our own, and the forest is not much of... well anything. We need you to let us stay in your pack until we can build a place of our own."

"Okay." Lyris agreed.

"Lyris," it was Malek's turn to hiss. "We need to ask the pack elders, and not to mention, the pack's current Alpha, who also happens to be your uncle, and my father."

"I know." Lyris' voice was soft. "But this is my mate, Malek."

"Yes, but this is your pack. Trust me, I want to know how they're doing too, but we can't agree to something like this without discussing with the pack members."

Lyris knew that Malek was right.

"If you are doubtful, you may leave."

Lyris sighed, turning around, ready to walk back.

"We can help for a small price."

The lady-like voice dimmed until a woman in a black cloak emerged from one of the trees.

"I am honored to help you, Rajah."

Lyris frowned.

"Uh... I'm not sure you know who we are we-"

Malek was cut off.

"I know exactly who you are, even more than you do." The witch smiled widely. "Greeting to both of you Rajahs. Please forgive the innocence and lack of knowledge of my subordinates."

She bowed.

"What?" Lyris looked at her like she grew two heads. "We're just two werewolves."

The witch simply shook her head with an elegant laugh, her strands of afro shaking along with her movements on her forehead.

"Oh you are so much more than you think, and I can't fathom this moment that I'm standing before royalty."

Lyris looked at Malek who was just as shocked as he was.