High

Sophia Mendoza
I enter Lorenzo's hospital room nervously after two whole days of not seeing him. I thought I gathered the courage but from how sweaty my hands are, it's clear I hadn't gathered enough.

"Sophia." Lorenzo sits up excitedly. "And my gorgeous princess, Kiara." He says as Kiara stays playing with her toys in her stroller. She hasn't seen him yet. "Come to daddy." He says as I take her to him.

She finally looks up, giggles and claps in excitement. Her small arms reach for him before I gently place her on his chest and she reaches for his face making him chuckle in excitement. He brings her to his face and kisses her all over her face and she giggles uncontrollably.

"Hey, careful." I cringe not wanting him to hurt himself.
"Don't worry, I'm much better now, much stronger." He replies continuing to shower his daughter with kisses. "I missed you so much my little princess. Did you miss daddy?" He asks and she giggles and claps, clear indication that she's ecstatic which is very natural when she's with her father.

"Thank you for bringing her, I missed her." Lorenzo says to me avoiding eye contact. He hates me.
"Lorenzo."
"You know what's unfair? You punishing me because you feel guilty about what happened."
"I'm not punishing you Lorenzo." I reply clearly confused by his choice of words.
"You punish me every single time you keep my baby from me, every time you keep yourself from me." He says now looking me in the eyes.

"Kiara!" Rosella exclaims walking into the room. "I haven't seen you in months princess, come here, let aunty hold you."

Kiara resists her aunt, clinging onto her fathers hospital gown. Rosella manages to pick her up making her pout in disappointment. Rosella kisses her cheeks making her start giggling once more. My sweet sweet baby.

"Hey Sophie." She walks towards me and kisses me on the cheek. I clear my throat and later smile at her.
"Rose."
"Ookay Kiara, let's give mum and dad some space to talk shall we?" Rosella says to Kiara, sensing the obvious tension in the room as they leave the room.

"Come here." Lorenzo leaves some space in his bed for me and I hesitantly walk his way as sit there. "Your eyes are puffier than when you left. I don't want you crying anymore." He places a finger under my chin lifting my head up. I start feeling sad again and he moves closer to me. "Please don't be like that my love." He says. I remain silent. I don't know what to say.

"If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have suffered the way you did, you wouldn't be here, in a hospital bed." I say with a tear rolling down my cheek.
"And if it weren't for me, you wouldn't have met Peter." He says looking into my eyes.
"Lorenzo."
"Princess, blaming ourselves for what happened won't change things, weeping over what happened won't change anything either. We need to forge ahead, together." He adds the last part after a long pause.
"Please, just give me some time to move past this. Getting over the fact that I feel guilty because I put you in harms way at a snap of my fingers is really easier said than done." I explain.

He hesitantly nods. "Anything for you my love. I'll wait for you to be ready, as long as I know all roads lead to you and I being together again." He plants a kiss on my forehead before laying back in his bed.
"Thank you." I smile at him. He shocked me so much. I never thought of him as the chilled and understanding type. He's changed so much. This is the man I fell in love with.

"What's on your mind?" He asks.
"The fact that this is the Lorenzo I fell in love with. I knew deep down that you had a big bright heart full of care, love, happiness.."
"And blood." He jokes making me chuckle.
"And blood." I reply with a smile. "I love you. Thank you for understanding me."
"I love you, more!" He leans up and kisses my forehead again.

"You look strong and fit. I hear you might be discharged soon." I look down at him.
"Yes, tomorrow. I just apparently need to have a few tests done on me, and I'll be using crutches for a week or two until my legs get better." He explains bluntly. I know he doesn't want to explain it in a way that will have me worried. I can see it in his eyes.
"I'm sure you'll be fine in no time." I comment not trying to make this sadder than it is.
"I know I'm giving you space but I want you to be here when they discharge me." He squeezes my hand and I nod continuously.
"Of course. Wouldn't miss it for the world."