82

Aiden

Of all the things about Emily I'm obsessed with, her smell is definitely one of them.

She always smells so fruity and sweet and fucking amazing.

I grab her waist tighter and attempt to squeeze in between her and her journal.

"Stop!" she giggles as I tickle her, and she accidentally scribbles in her book.

"Mmmm...I will when you pay attention to me," I moan like a baby into her chest.

Our bodies are tangled together on the sofa like we usually are on a Saturday evening. If I could stop time, I would stop it right here and throw the clock away.

"Ok," she sighs placing her journal on the coffee table, "You have my attention."

I look up, into her pool of clear blue eyes.

"Emily, I love you."

"I love you too," she smiles.

Simultaneously, we lean towards each other and kiss passionately.

A dainty knock on the door forcibly separates us.

"Argh!" I groan.

"That's Nicole, I have to go," Emily sighs.

"No! Stay here with me," I plead.

When did I become this weak, soppy fucking beggar?

"I would love to, but I promised Nicole I'd help get things ready for the party tonight and then get ready with her. I like to keep my promises," she tells me.

"I don't even want to go to this damn party."

"Come on, it's your prom night. You don't want to miss everything."

"I just don't give a fuck about any of it," I let out a deep sigh.

"You don't care about anything, do you?"

"That's not true. I care about you."

"I know and I care about you too," she says softly.

Leaning in for another kiss, we are again interrupted by a second knock, louder this time.

"Ok, I really have to go," she insists before we reluctantly untangle ourselves.

She gathers her stuff and smooths down her hair.

"What time are you going to come?" she asks me.

"Errm, I'll probably have a shower and meet the gang somewhere then get there together. So maybe in a couple of hours?"

"Yeah, ok that's fine. Wear a nice shirt," she teases.

"I will wear the cleanest t-shirt I can find," I reply to which she rolls her eyes.

There is a third, deafening bang on the door so we have a quick hug and kiss before Emily rushes out. I hear Nicole complaining as they leave and shut the door behind them.

I slump back down on the sofa looking up at the ceiling. When Emily is not here, it's like I am brutally dragged out of a dream and back into harsh reality. The reality that Emily isn't even aware of right now which is that my mum and I have been summoned to attend court in a few months over the neglect and "kidnap" of my little sisters. Mum is still fucking MIA and not returning my calls or texts. I haven't spoken to the girls in months. I don't know where they are, if they're together and ok, nothing. It fucking sucks.

I turn on my side and notice Emily's journal still on the coffee table. She must have forgotten it.

My conscience tells me not to read her private journal but when have I ever fucking listened to my conscience.

I sit up and slide the journal off the table.

I open the first page and begin reading.

The first time I saw him, he took my breath away. I looked up from reading my bible and saw him standing against the graffiti covered brick wall of the local greasy takeaway. Tall, dark hair, chiselled features and tattoos on his arms. His thick brows furrowed into a deep frown as he scrolled through his phone and dragged hard on his cigarette. He had a dark edge that screamed danger, but I couldn't help find him irresistible.

Damn.

Is she talking about me? She better fucking be.

One thing is for sure, she sure has a way with words.

I ready myself to carry on reading but I'm startled by a knock on the door. I slap the journal close and put it back where I vaguely remember seeing it.

I rush to the door as another knock comes from the door.

"Back so soon?" I ask smugly as I open the door.

Surprisingly, it's not Emily at the other side of the door.