55

Emily

We're ten minutes late and dashing down the corridor of the hotel. My hair is still wet from the second quick shower I had to take and droplets of water spraying from the ends almost cloud my view.

When we reach the lift, the doors are about to close. But Aiden's quick reflexes save the day. He quickly holds the doors up with a strong grip, his muscles flexing as he wrestles with the heavy metal door. Eventually, the door admits defeat and reopens.

"After you," he says with his heart-melting smile as he lets me in first.

He jumps in after me and we press the button for the ground floor at the same time. I can't help but giggle.

He watches me with a satisfied smirk as the lift drops.

"Ok, what is it?" I ask, unable to contain my girly grin.

"Nothing," he shrugs.

He turns to look at himself in the mirror at the back of the lift and shakes off his wet hair.

Some droplets land on my face.

I check myself out too. My cheeks are coloured crimson, and my lips are swollen and so pink, they are almost purple. I'll need to see if Nicole has some lip balm before they blister in the cold.

Then I suddenly remember that the gang being in the lobby is meant to be a surprise.

"Oh my days, I nearly forgot, your first surprise is downstairs. Close your eyes!" I command loudly.

He grunts miserably.

"Do I have to?"

"Yes, come on," I beg as we pass the first floor. Almost there.

"Fine," he sighs.

I step behind him and lift myself up on my tiptoes to cover his eyes. But I can't reach.

"No peeking!" I demand instead.

"Yeah yeah, I won't peek."

"Ok," I smile.

The lift comes to a stop and with a ding, the doors slide open.

I take Aiden's hand and lead him out of the lift, past a crowd of waiting guests. My smile widens when I see everyone sitting around the lobby sofas waiting for us. I'm glad they made it, even Brad.

The minute they see us, they stop talking. I lead Aiden and position him in front of everyone.

"Ready?" I ask.

"I can't wait to get this charade over and done with, yeah," he says cynically.

Nicole and I roll our eyes in unison.

"Ok, open," I say excitedly.

"Surprise!" we shout in chorus as he opens his eyes.

"Oh! Wow! You guys are here!" he exclaims but flatly.

Kitty sniggers.

I stare at him confused; the tone isn't right. He exchanges a knowing glance with Serumen then suddenly turns to me.

"This is a really nice surprise, thank you."

As he leans forward to kiss my cheeks, I stop him in his tracks.

"Wait a minute, you knew, didn't you?" I gasp in realisation.

He looks as if he is about to lie but then shrugs.

"Busted," Luke says as Lace and Serumen burst out laughing.

I can't believe this.

"Who told you?" I ask as he goes to greet the guys and I hug Nicole.