48

Aiden

"Wake up!" I say cheerfully, drawing the curtains back to let in the bright, grey daylight.

The volume of the pouring rain is turned up.

Melissa and Lizzie moan and writhe in their beds.

"Come on, up!" I order them, "Brush your teeth and come downstairs. You have ten minutes!"

I drag Mel's duvet back and she jerks up, snatching it back off me.

"Ok, I'm up," she groans, "What's your problem?"

"Get up and get Lizzie ready. I have a surprise for you guys downstairs."

"What is it?" Lizzie perks up.

"Well, get up and you will see," I whisper enthusiastically.

As they stretch, I walk into the bathroom and empty the toothbrush cup into the sink. I fill it with freezing cold water and take it to mum's bedroom.

Luckily, she is in there. I draw the curtains back, but the sudden invasion of light has no effect on her. So, I proceed to plan B. I tip the cold water onto her face.

"Holy hell!" she screams, flopping about on the bed like a dying fish.

"Get up!" I demand.

"Fuck off."

"Hurry up and get downstairs in ten minutes."

"Shut up you little menace. Can't you see I'm hungover?"

"I don't give a shit. Hurry up or it will be a bucket next!"

"What the hell do I need to get up for?"

"It's Christmas, remember?" I say bluntly and walk out of the room.

Ten minutes later, the three Duncan women come marching down the stairs. Well, more like Lizzie skips, Mel slouches and mum staggers but either way, they've come down.

"Right, new rule in this house," I say firmly as they line up in front of me, "From now on, we spend Christmas together as a family."

Mel scoffs and crosses her arms. I ignore her and carry on.

"I don't want to hear any fucking excuses. This year, I'll let you get away with not buying presents but next year, you won't be so lucky."

"Who d'yu think yar?" mum slurs.

"And you," I point at her, "It's the one day you are not allowed to go AWOL or drink any booze. I don't care if every drop of water has dried up on this fucking planet, you're staying away from alcohol. Understood?"

I know it's gone in one ear and out of the other but at least I've told her.

"Right, come inside."

I open the living room door and let them in.

"Wow!" Lizzie gasps in amazement.

The living room is decorated with twinkling green and red fairy lights, green Christmas garland dotted with glittery baubles and bows, a small tree in the corner by the TV also filled with garland and baubles and some stocking. Next to the small tree, a handful of badly wrapped presents. All for less than 15 quid at the pound shop and I had enough left for presents and a pub meal for us today.

Not bad for my first attempt.

"When did you do this?" Melissa asks, trying to mask the excitement in her voice.

"Last night. See if you can top it next year."

"I will if you give me pocket money."

"Or you could get a job," I suggest.