Chapter 29: Reflection

10/12/15 Dorm evening

8 Days have passed since the last encounter with Ryoji. Every day I notice more people affected with apathy syndrome. With the increased snow cover and just the average temperature, there is nothing really that could lighten up the mood. As I walked inside the dorm I see everyone but Minato and Hamuko sitting in the lounge watching the television, which was covering the increasing cases of apathy syndrome. Akihiko then turns the television off as I sit down next to Ken and Koromaru.

Mitsuru: "I dug through the research papers in my father's library again, as well as the reports Ikutsuki left behind. Just as I'd suspected, Ikutsuki got close to the truth about Nyx and the Fall."

Yukari: "So, that means it's true, right? What he said about humans and animals... all of us are doomed to die."

Koromaru whimpers.

Mitsuru: "Just as Ikutsuki said, my grandfather, obsessed with the philosophy of the Fall, began collecting the shadows en masse because he knew it would lead to the awakening of this entity called Nyx. But that process was interrupted, by Yukari's father."

Akihiko: "As a result, the collected shadows were split into twelve Arcanas and Death manifested in an incomplete form. Then Aigis fought him and managed to seal him away."

Mitsuru: "Yes... Within them."

The sound of footsteps coming down the stairs caused everyone to look over and see Minato. Minato looks at us and walks off into the kitchen.

Fuuka: "I wonder if it was fate... that bought Arisato back to this city?"

Mitsuru: "I don't know... or it could be that Ikutsuki was behind it. Either way, with their return, the scattered shadows awakened and are making their move."

Yukari: "So all this time, we were inadvertently helping the shadows become one."

Y/N: "It seems so."

Fuuka: "Is there really nothing we can do?"

Mitsuru: "Nyx seems to be the incarnation of death and harm itself. If that's true, then I really don't think we can overpower it."

Yukari: "Either die like this, or forget everything and die an easy death. Are those our only choices?"

Ken: "Sanada, have you decided already?"

Akihiko: "I don't know."

Yukari: "What about you, Junpei? Is your mind made up?"

Junpei: "No."

Yukari: "What's wrong? Hey, are you scared or something?"

Junpei: "What kind of attitude is that? This is no time to joke around!"

Yukari: "Junpei..."

Junpei: "We're talking about dying! Why wouldn't I be scared? How can you guys be so calm? Have you thought about what it means to die for sure?"

Fuuka: "Junpei, please calm down."

Akihiko: "You're being unsightly, Junpei."

Junpei: "Why are you playing it so cool, Akihiko!?"

Mitsuru: "Iori!"

Junpei: "Tell me like you always do! We're only here to fight, or, We can't run away from this. It's not like you! What's got you so spooked?"

Akihiko then punches Junpei in the face, knocking Junpei into the table. I quickly stand up and restrain Akihiko.

Mitsuru: "Stop it, Akihiko!"