Part 14 - Vegas Opening Night '69

The year was 1969 and the day was August 11th. Elvis kicked off a 7-year-long residency at the International Hotel in Vegas.

Known for his powerful stage presence and in total command of every room he has ever worked backstage at the International Hotel on August 11th, 1969, Elvis Presley was pacing back and forth like a panther. In a few minutes, he would march out into what was then the largest showroom in Las Vegas.

The International Hotel's showroom, the largest in Vegas with a capacity of 2000 people, was abuzz with anticipation. It was a star-studded affair, with a galaxy of celebrities gracing both sides of the stage. 

Among the illustrious guests, one particular celebrity stood out - Brandi Lockwood. Despite being married to John Dutton and now a mother, Brandi had ventured to Vegas on a girl's trip with her close friends Edith, Natalie, and her sister Anita. They knew that Elvis was going to open at the International that night - after all, Brandi had also inked a deal with the hotel, and she reasoned that since they were in Vegas, they might as well 'stop by.'

******

Brandi walked back and forth in her suite at the International, a whirlwind of excitement and nerves. Edith, Natalie, and her sister Anita were equally frantic, all hands on deck to help her prepare for the night.

Inside the suite, the scene resembled a controlled chaos: clothes thrown across furniture, makeup scattered in haphazard piles, and an array of accessories scattered like fallen stars.

"Brandi, seriously, you look stunning in everything! Just pick one, and let's get going." Natalie urged, holding up a dazzling silver gown.

Brandi hesitated, her eyes scanning the sparkling dress before gently pushing it aside. "No, no, it's not right," she murmured, moving on to the next option.

Edith chimed in, holding up an extravagant sequined number. "What about this one? It's bold, just like you!"

A frown creased Brandi's brow as she shook her head. "I don't want to appear like I'm trying too hard. I need something classy and elegant."

Anita chuckled, holding up a tight pink dress. "How about this? It's different and will make you stand out."

Brandi glanced at the dress, considering it for a moment. "Hmm, maybe. But I need something that will make Elvis take notice."

Time was slipping away, and the room's chaos grew more frantic. Dresses fluttered in and out of the closet, makeup brushes dashed across faces, and shoes were flung in frustration.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Brandi caught sight of a sleek, black dress buried beneath a pile of clothes. She pulled it out and held it up to her body, a glimmer of hope in her eyes. The off-the-shoulder sleeves and glittering diamond accents added just the right amount of flash and sex appeal.

Edith gasped, her eyes widening. "That's it! That's the one!" she said with excitement.

Natalie nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, it's perfect! Elvis won't be able to take his eyes off you."

With excitement, Brandi rushed to the bathroom to style her hair, opting for an elegant slicked-back hairstyle that showcased her neck and shoulders. She added a bold red lip, enhancing her already striking features. Stepping back to examine herself in the mirror, she couldn't help but smile. She knew she looked like a knockout - confident, alluring, and ready to conquer the world.

Emerging from the bathroom, Brandi was met with applause and cheers from her entourage. "You're going to leave him speechless!"

Laughing, a mix of excitement and anticipation swelled within her.  "I hope so. Tonight is the night I show Elvis what he's been missing all these years." She knew she looked like a vision – the perfect embodiment of allure, confidence, and sex appeal for a night watching the King in Vegas.