Part 8 - 1958, Dearly Beloveds ...

Brandi had been up in New York, recording some new songs for her upcoming album. Just the week before, she, Vernon, and Gladys had returned from visiting Elvis in Fort Hood, Texas.

******

The scorching summer was in full swing, but Gladys' health was on the decline. Elvis could see it in her eyes, and he was extremely worried. He urged her to seek medical attention, but she was reluctant, torn by the thought of leaving Elvis behind.

Finally, after much persuasion, she agreed to visit Dr. Charles Clark in Memphis. Brandi, recognising the severity, suggested that they cut their trip short and head back home to prioritise Gladys' health.

Elvis' concern only grew as Brandi and Vernon took Gladys back to Memphis.

******

Finishing up at the recording studio, Brandi and her little entourage of friends, including Edith, made their way up to their hotel for the night. Collapsing onto the large sofa, exhausted, Brandi was barely settled when the telephone rang.

"I'll get it," Edith volunteered, crossing the room to answer. "Hello, Edith speaking," she said into the receiver. But as she turned back to Brandi, her face twisted with worry. "It's Vernon... somethin's wrong,"  

Taken aback, Brandi quickly made her way over to Edith and grabbed the phone. "Vernon? What's going on?" she blurted out, her mind racing with a million possibilities.

A deep voice boomed over the phone, "Brandi, it's Gladys," the voice said urgently. "She's been taken to the hospital. She just collapsed while coming down the stairs." Brandi felt her heart lurch in her chest, racing a thousand miles per second.

"Does Elvis know?"

"Yes, he received emergency leave after having to threaten to go AWOL. He's on his way from Texas with Lamar as we speak," Vernon replied quickly, his tone urgent.

"Okay, I'll be on the next flight out too. See you soon, Vernon," Brandi said,

"Please hurry home darlin'," Vernon pleaded. 

Brandi hung up the phone, her mind racing. Without hesitation, she gathered up her things, along with the others, and they were on the first plane homebound.

******

Back in Memphis, Red wasted no time. He picked Brandi up from the airport and sped directly to Memphis Baptist Hospital, breaking every traffic rule along the way. With adrenaline coursing through their veins, they arrived at the hospital in just seven minutes.

Brandi rushed to the nurse's desk and anxiously asked, "Mrs. G. Presley, what's her room number?"

The nurse, recognising the famous face before her, replied with a sympathetic smile, "Room 6B, Ms. Lockwood, down the hall to your right."

Brandi rushed down the hall and burst into the room where Vernon and Elvis were by Gladys' side, both with the saddest looks on their faces. Elvis stood up, his eyes filled with relief as he saw Brandi. He wrapped her in a tight hug, whispering, "Satnin, I'm so glad ya made it here safely. I missed ya."

Brandi just nodded and bit her lip, holding back tears. She approached Vernon's side, gently kissing him on the forehead before asking, "How's she doin'? Anything from the doctor's yet?" she asked.

Vernon drew a deep breath and replied, "The doctors say she is in a coma-like state. They say she has hepatitis, and her body can't handle the shock." Vernon started crying softly, and not knowing what to say, Brandi patted his back softly. 

She took Gladys' swollen hand and said, "Come on, mama, you have to get better now. You need to fight this, boobie,"

They sat there in solemn silence, holding Gladys' hand until nearly midnight. Eventually, Vernon broke the silence, his voice filled with exhaustion and sadness. "Hey, you two, go on home. It's almost midnight. I'll stay by her side and call if I get any news," he said softly, his eyes weary.