Part 13 - The Space Between Us

Narrator POV

It was 1967, four long years had slipped by since the pivotal night when Brandi walked out on Elvis. If things had been different, they might have been able to work it out. But the shock, humiliation, and surprise were too much for him to bear. Elvis Presley was used to being the one to walk away from relationships, not the other way around. And even when someone did leave him, his charisma and talent had always managed to draw them back. However, this time was unlike any other. Brandi was gone for good, and there was nothing he could do to change that.

Elvis' POV:

In the first few months that she had been gone, I had been dealing with pain, unlike anything I had ever known. Losing Brandi had inflicted a wound on my heart that was comparable to the grief I had felt when my mother had passed away. My world had stopped moving when she left. She had taken the sun with her. She'd taken the stars. It was as if the earth was just sitting on its axis with no gravitational pull. Time stood still. I begged for the days to end.

I spent all my days trying to fill it with pills and girls, but none of it could fill the giant-sized Brandi hole I had in my heart. I tried phoning her every day and every night for two years straight - she ignored my calls or if someone answered they said she wasn't home. I've sent her telegram after telegram, letter after letter explaining how I can't live without her and that I was a fool for doing this to her and begging her to come back to me - returned to sender.

Finally one day I let the guys track her down to where she lived in her new home in Beverley Hills, she wasn't that damn hard to find - but when they approached her trying to intervene for my sake, she was cold and distant, she didn't want anything to do with me and she said she will never forgive me. It broke me even further. This was back in late '64.

I tried moving on - but I couldn't. I tried everything and I eventually brought Priscilla over to the states to come and live with me and to try and distract me from my heartbreak. It worked for a little while but only because I tried to mold her into a version of Brandi but it didn't work, no matter how hard I tried... but anyway I was married now - to Priscilla and we have a little daughter on the way. We have been married for only a couple of months now, and Priscilla could never make my heart feel like it was going to beat out of my chest the way it did for Brandi. I'd never understood the magnetic pull Brandi had on me, a force like no other.

But Brandi was also married now, to John Dutton, one of the biggest cattle farmers America has ever seen

But Brandi was also married now, to John Dutton, one of the biggest cattle farmers America has ever seen. He was a good-looking guy with a lot of money - but damn I hated the sonofabitch! Despised him even! 

They got married not long after Priscilla and I did - married on his big ranch down in Montana called the 'Yellowstone Dutton Ranch' or some shit like that. I was so jealous and livid that I almost ordered a hit on him - Red got a guy that could've taken care of it, but eventually, the Mafia got me calmed down and we never talked about it again.

I didn't want to see her move on in life without me, how dare she be happy if it ain't with me? I was selfish, wanting her all to myself. I know I fucked up big time, but she was MINE, and she will always be MINE.