Chapter 39

Babette

Babette was lying in her bed. She had a fever and her head hurt. Tired, she pulled the blanket up to her chin. She was cold. Although she had survived the accident well and without a scratch, she now had a cold. While a carriage brought her home, the fever had broken out. No doubt it was because she had sat wet in the cold, broken carriage for several hours. Her father also had a cold.

It could all have been perfect if it hadn't been for the storm.

But she didn't want to let a horrible cold spoil her mood. In her mind, she imagined how she wanted to furnish her new home. She also imagined the festivities they would celebrate there.

A servant came into her room and brought her tea and some biscuits, which she put on her bedside table. Babette took one of the cookies. If there was something about being sick that she liked, it was the food in bed.

Her life should be full of luxury. That is what she was destined for. She did not want to think about her stay in the inn and the terrible clothes she had been given.

She was not made for a simple, bourgeois life.

It was beneath her dignity!

That cold was beneath her dignity!

And she had to wait until a healer came along to free her because she was too sick to use magic. Fever and magic didn't go well together.

Peter

The Queen was shocked to learn what had happened. Several times she asked her husband and Peter if they were really well. They were fine. Peter's father had a slight cold, but that was all.

At least she was worried about Peter, even if she didn't seem happy with him otherwise. Anyway. He could not expect more.

At breakfast the next morning, they talked about the 'more enjoyable part of the house visit. Not that Peter found any of this enjoyable... Except, perhaps, the clothes he had been wearing. His choice of clothing had annoyed Babette wonderfully. And he felt comfortable. Yes, Peter felt more like himself.

"The residence is in good condition. As far as we could see, few repairs will be necessary," his father told his mother. "Some wallpapers have to be renewed and in some places, the plaster is damaged, but otherwise I have not seen much... We couldn't look at the roof because the storm surprised us. But it will be a proper home for Peter and Babette."

Probably more of a prison.... "The residence is a bit too big for me...", Peter announced. " And the façade is too green! Surely a small property would have been enough?"

"A smaller property would have been a disgrace... And stop this boycott. It's getting ridiculous", his mother reprimanded. "No matter what we decide for you, you don't like it. You act like a child. And what are you wearing again?"

Peter wore his dressing gown and underneath it a patterned shirt and striped pajama pants. Around his neck, he had put on a patterned silk scarf. He wore one of Julia's pearl bracelets, as well as one of his own bracelets.

"Obviously, our son wants to compete with the parrots..." His father shook his head laughing.

"Parrots are beautiful birds." Peter smeared himself a honey bun. "I dressed up for our cheerful family breakfast! I woke up in the morning and discovered the parrot in me! This is a reason to rejoice!"

"Then please discover the prince in you next." The queen took a sip of tea. "We still have room for him here at the table."

"I'm sorry, but the prince is traveling. For the purpose of self-discovery." Peter bit into his bun.

Julia

Julia hid behind her history book. What had she done?

What should she do now?

Didn't she already have enough worries?

But no... She had to make it worse.

She had kissed her servant. More than once... And she had liked it. Very much so.

Helga nudged her. "Julia! You have to be careful! You have just been called!"

Julia looked up from her book and directly into the disapproving eyes of her history teacher. "Don't you like my lessons?", the teacher asked. "Or why don't you pay attention?"

"I'm sorry... There's just a lot going on right now... I..." I kissed my servant. She almost said it out loud.

Her teacher's gaze became a little milder. "Is it because of your magic? This is certainly very exciting. But the history of our country is just as exciting. So please listen from now on."

"Yes. Of course." Julia sighed.

During the break, she sat with her friends in the dining room. She did not know how to face Leopold and had therefore skipped breakfast. Now she was very hungry and eagerly ate the fried vegetables, which were on the menu of the academy today. Sophie must have been worried, but Julia needed time to think. In the morning she had avoided Leopold as much as possible. She desperately needed a plan... Should she act as if nothing had happened? Or should she mention kiss... the kisses? But what could she say? 'Hey, you're a good kisser, but nothing will come of us?' That was pathetic. She couldn't possibly say something like that.

And then there was Marie. She whispered conspicuously often with Pia and Helga. But when Julia asked her what they were talking about, all three acted mysteriously. Did they plan something? Or what was it about?

After the break, they were taught sword fighting and Julia was allowed to prove again that she was too clumsy for that. Why was sword fighting a compulsory subject? And fencing? Why did she have to learn it? There hadn't been a major war for a long time.

So why?

Julia didn't understand. So she asked her teacher about it. He smiled happily. "That's a very good question. In part, I already answered it in our first lesson. It's tradition. You will be given an insight into a possible career path. And you learn discipline here. Just like in fencing. You are reaching your limits. You learn to recognize them. Something you also needed for your magic."

Magic.

Currently, her teachers were looking for suitable tutors for her.

Julia wanted to go far, far away.

(c: sasi)