Chapter 86

Nine Months Later
June 2016

Natasha, Wanda, Steve & Sam travel to Lagos, Nigeria to finally capture Rumlow & his mercenaries. When Steve unmasks Rumlow, he tells Steve that Bucky remembered him & makes a joke about the memory wiping. Rumlow presses a button which was going blow him up but Wanda tries to stop it by using her powers. She tosses Rumlow into a hospital, which causes an explosion. Everyone is horrified. Meanwhile, Tony is at M.I.T. introducing a new creation. He calls it Binarily Augmented Retro-Framing or, B.A.R.F., using a realistic looking scenario of the last time he saw his parents. Kristina is home swamped with work & watching Sophia. After the presentation, Tony tries to make a quick exit out of the building when he comes across a woman waiting for the elevator. They have a short conversation & she reveals that the Avengers killed her son, Charles Spencer, in Sokovia. Making Tony feel so guilty.

A month later, Wanda watches the news about the Nigerian attack & Steve tries to comfort her. Vision appears through the wall to alert Steve that Tony has arrived with the Secretary of State, Thaddeus Ross. The Avengers gather in the conference room. Ross shows them footage from their attacks to show them the devastation they've caused.
"Ok, that's enough", Steve says.
"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power & no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Ross is passed a thick manual & he sets it on the table near Wanda.
"The Sokovia accords. Approved by a hundred & seventeen countries, it stated that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when & if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers we're formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."
"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor & Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."
"So, there are contingencies."
"Three days from now the U.N. meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over."
"And if we come to a decision you don't like?", Natasha asks.
"Then you retire", Ross replies. The meeting ends. A premeditated problem begins for the Avengers, unbeknownst to them.

The Avengers argue over the Accords. Natasha states that Tony has been very quiet on the subject. Steve replies that Tony's already made up his mind. Tony pours himself some coffee while pulling up a picture of Charles Spencer. Explaining to the team about what he was told by Mrs. Spencer. In the middle of their discussion, Steve receives a text. Peggy has passed away in her sleep & he abruptly leaves. Later that night, Steve informs everyone of her passing. They all give him their condolences. A week later, Steve & Sam travel to London. Steve serves as a pallbearer for her funeral. During the Sokovia Accords discussion in Vienna, King T'Chaka is assassinated along with eleven others. The blame is placed on Bucky Barnes. Natasha warns T'Challa not to retaliate, to let the authorities bring in Barnes. T'Challa swears that he'll kill him. After finding out where Bucky has been hiding, Steve visits Bucky in Bucharest & helps him escape but T'Challa chases after Bucky. Steve, Sam, Bucky are arrested by the authorities, led by Rhodey.

Vision has been instructed by Tony to not let Wanda leave the Avengers compound. Steve & Tony have a heart to heart which turns into an argument between the alpha males. Bucky is given a psych evaluation but things go awry. A city wide blackout happens. The therapist sent by U.N. to evaluate Bucky uses the Hydra code words to turn Bucky into the Winter Soldier. Winter Soldier is unleashed & fights off Sam, Sharon, Steve, Natasha, Tony & T'Challa. Bucky escapes by hijacking a helicopter by Steve hangs on, hellbent on not letting him go. Bucky purposefully smashes the helicopter so that both men fall into the lake below. Sam & Steve take Bucky to an unknown location to question him. Bucky explains more about the reasoning that fake therapist wanted to know so much. Ross scolds both Natasha & Tony for the fiasco earlier. Tony recruits a teenage vigilante named Peter Parker a.k.a. Spider-Man to help fight against Team Captain America.