Chapter 18: Promise Me

**You can check out the foot words on Wikipedia or other sources. But just know all this is true.**

Coco's POV:

After putting the girls to bed, I headed back to check on Velvet when I saw Oscar and Ruby again wrestling on the couch, laughing. They probably repaired their relationship after what happened the other day. I'm happy for them. Though I wonder if they're a couple now, they look like siblings fighting over the remote. I'll check on them later, but right now, I need to go back to my room. I told Fox and Yatsuhashi what Velvet and I heard the day of the attack with the amalgam Grimm, and they said they'd look into it.

According to them, since the sound didn't come from a Grimm, it had to come from something else, something big enough to make such a loud noise and leave a gash on the trees that deep. If this was a kind of monster or a new species of Grimm we didn't know about, we had to find out about it immediately. I rushed back to my room just as Yatsuhashi and Fox walked to the door.

"Ok," I said once we were all together, "we know that the marks on the trees were made by something big with talons. Fox hit me with the list of potential suspects."

"From what I've read using the braille, that everyone seems to forget I can use," he said annoyedly. Although Fox dislikes it when people forget he's blind, "the main choice would be a Nevermore seeing as it's the most bird-like of Grimm. The second is either a Beowulf or an Ursa. Their big claws and ability to stand on their hind legs make them seem suspect. Since the gash marks were relatively high on the tree and deep enough to where it looked like the forelimbs were used to make the marks instead of feet. The third option is a Ravager. But it's doubtful since it does not live in this part of Remnant. But was placed on the list as a possibility since Grimm like Sabers from Atlas have been appearing."

"Thanks, Fox. Yatsuhashi, did you get any leads or possibilities?"

"Not really," Yatsuhashi said, "Based on the intel Fox brought back, I've been trying to think of what it could be. The best I've got is that it's a bird of some kind or, at the very least, something with talons. Given the shape of the marks left on the tree, we can rule out any sort of ungulate type creature or plantigrade. 

**Ungulates are animals with hoofed feet like horses and donkeys**

**Plantigrade feet are feet where the pressure is applied to the toes and the bottom of the feet like a humans or a dogs**