Ch 20: It Can't Be!

Oscar's POV:

After Ruby and I had spent some time alone, we spent the day wandering around, flirting and teasing each other. We made sure not to run into anyone while we did that and began to sneak around the others. We ran into Weiss and Yang on the street, and they told us about these weird marks appearing all around Vale. I knew what they were. They were the marks that he left. He's closing in on my friends and me. I saw the calling card in my room, so I needed to train and do it fast. I can't fight him like I do Grimm. He's too intelligent for that.

I need to learn some new tricks and up my game more. When Ruby and I returned to the apartment, we sat on the couch and turned on the tv. We do this so when people come home, they think we've been watching tv all day instead of what we're actually doing. Ruby began kissing my cheek as we sat on the couch looking at a Pumpkin Pete commercial.

I felt it, but I was too busy trying to think of ways to get ready for the incoming fight. I haven't seen this guy in years, and it's about time we had another showdown. Just thinking about him made my left arm feel funny.

"...car...Oscar?" I saw Ruby poking my cheek, trying to get my attention, "you ok?"

"Oh, I'm fine, Ruby; I was just thinking," I said.

"What about?"

"Oh, uh, just thinking about training methods."

"Why?"

"Uh, well, it's just," her words rang in my ears, 'never lie to me or keep secrets', "I want to get stronger so I can protect you."

"I can protect myself, Oscar," Ruby said, patting my arm.

"I know, but I need to get stronger to protect you."

"Protect me from what?" I looked down, knowing I'd have to tell her sooner or later.

"Ruby," I said, cupping her face in my hands. I brushed her cheek with my thumbs and kissed her. She gripped my wrists and deepened the kiss. I rubbed her hips, and she wrapped one of her legs around me. I had a good idea of what was next, but I wasn't going down that path because I had things on my mind, and we did it earlier, and I needed to rest.

We pulled away and gazed at each other.

"Ruby," I whispered, "we can't go back to the bedroom."

"Aw, why not?" she giggled.

"Because you wore me out today."

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have had all that coffee before I took a bath. That caffeine gave me a boost."

"I'll say it did. You turned my pine tree into a pinecone."

Ruby laughed her head off at that rolling around on the couch. I tried not to laugh at my comment, but a smile crept across my face. Ruby leaned back into my arms as her laughing began to die.

"Ruby," I said, leaning my forehead against hers, "I want to get stronger to protect you. I know you can protect yourself, but...." My voice trailed off.

"But what, Osckie? You know you can tell me anything. And also, you promised not to keep any secrets from me."

"Ok, it's a long story, but when I was a kid-" the door opened, and Weiss and Winter walked in. it was rare for Winter to walk into our house. She usually stays in Atlas or Beacon's dormitories to closely monitor the huntsmen in training. Because of that, she and Weiss rarely spent time together, although Winter has been making more of an effort to be in her sister's life. But since they were here, I can't tell them what I have to tell Ruby. I don't want my private battle to spread to my friends too much.