Chapter 4-Where is He?

Oscars POV:

It took me almost all night last night, but I managed to get a pass to get to the island of Patch. I know I had no idea what I was looking for or where I would find it, but I would spend all day looking for it if I needed to. No amount of effort is too small for the sake of Ruby Rose.

When I woke up, the sun was rising, so I was extra careful not to wake; any-and ren is right there.

Ren was sitting at the counter drinking a cup of coffee.

"Morning Oscar," he said, "you're up rather early. Can't sleep?"

"I can. I'm uh well, I'm uh look, it's for Ruby's birthday present, so please keep it a secret." I said sheepishly.

"It's fine. Do what you have to do for this but don't get hurt. The last thing we need is bad news on a day like today."

"Thanks, Ren, and tell her I said happy birthday just in case if I don't make it back in time for the party."

Ren sipped his coffee and gave me a thumbs-up as I left.

TIMESKIP

I bought a train ticket the night before to take a trip up to Patch; Ruby, and Yang's hometown. Ok, so they lived on an island. I had to go on a 2-hour train ride and then take an hour-long boat ride to their island. I did some asking around and wandering until I finally found it—the site of their old house. I searched and rummaged through the remains. I can't believe people just left it like this. Who sees a house burn to ash and then ignore it?

After a few hours of looking, I decided to give up. I was on my way back when I tripped over a wooden plank and hit the ground hard. I used my aura to heal myself. I noticed something sticking out from the rubble. Wait, It looks like-wait, what is that?

Ruby's POV:

I got showered with "happy birthdays" from people all over campus. I wasn't in school anymore, but I liked being around Beacon Academy. It reminded me of a simpler dorkier time. But, as much fun as I was having, I still couldn't feel happy knowing one of my best friends wasn't here. Oscar being absent today made me upset. What did he have going on that he couldn't even say hi?

I went outside, fuming about where he was and what he was doing. I know he said he was getting me a present to make me happy but is he trying to trap me in suspense to be surprised when I finally see it? I was so lost in thought that I hadn't even noticed that I bumped into Jaune and Pyrrha. They were both surprised to see me, and they covered their hands behind their backs.

"Oh uh hey Rubes," said Jaune shyly, "what are you up to?"

"Hey, Jaune," I said, "I'm just uh takin' a walk around. What are you guys up to?"

They both tensed the question.

"Oh nothing," said Pyrrha, "we're just talking and walking."

"Yea, we're not thinking about your birthday gift or anything." Jaune said failing to be inconspicuous.

Pyrrha slammed her elbow into his gut without breaking her prized smile.